(Help) iPad (2017) or Macbook (2016)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by syphern, Jun 9, 2017.

1. syphern macrumors 6502

Hey guys needed everyones opinion in terms of which one to get. I do want to learn to code so I am thinking xcode would be better for me on the macbook. Apart from that I have lots of steam games (2d games) that I can play on the macbook.

Only thing for the iPad is its newer more tech portable and I also have alot of apps I have bought. I found myself not using my iPad much last year though hence why I sold it.

What would you guys advise? ios 11 looks to bridge the gap between the two.

2. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

If you're going to code the iPad is not an option certainly when you want to use Xcode.
    MacOS is a solid OS it's more mature then iOS.
    MacBook is the only good choice in this case.

3. Dave245 macrumors 601

I would say go with the MacBook, it has been updated with a higher processor and even better a 16GB Ram option. The iPad Pro will be a great laptop replacement device don't get me wrong but for things like code, serious editing and so on you are better off with a Mac, i'm going to be updating my iPad Pro to the new one but i will still have an iMac as my main desktop, the iPad Pro will just be replacing my MacBook Pro.

4. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

I have a 2015 base 12" Macbook. I recently cashed in some awards points and got the gen 1 12.9" IPP (for free.) I also added the Apple Smart Keyboard. I forced myself to use the 12.9" ipad for everything for a month. There is a lot you can do on the iPad if you learn the keyboard shortcuts. However, certain things are just so much harder to do on the iPad vs. a Macbook that it's maddening. Copying and pasting is just an exercise in frustration. The lack of uniformity between apps with keyboard scrolling also gets annoying if you're constantly reaching up to touch the screen. Despite the shortcomings of the iPad I do really enjoy it for content consumption and web browsing. It feels like a more versatile device and more "futuristic." But I don't think it could replace a Macbook for me at this point.