Help! iPad mail sycning issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Madmic23, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I'm having a very strange issue with my iPad and potentially iPhone.

I have a Gmail account set up on both devices. Today, I noticed my iPhone battery drop in a ridiculously fast manner, from 90% to 50% in about an hour. I tried checking my mail and it would freeze up. I could back out to the home screen, but when I went back into mail, it was frozen. I turned the iPhone off, turned it back on and it would download my e-mail but when I went into mail it was frozen again. I turned the iPhone off because it had dropped all the way down to 10% battery and was getting hot.

I get home and try to check my mail on my iPad and it shows no new mail, which I know is wrong. In fact, it has nothing since 5:23 p.m. yesterday.

This is the really weird part, when I go into settings on the iPad and try to access the Mail, Contacts, Calendars tab, the screen freezes and won't load. I can back out to the home screen, but I have to double tap the home button and kill the Settings app in order to go back into settings and see anything else.

Any idea what could cause this? Better yet, any idea how to fix this?

2. Madmic23, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

Madmic23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I somehow managed to fix this on my iPhone, but not on the iPad. On the phone, I went into the settings for mail, calendar contacts, and managed to delete the account and then re add the account. It took three tries and a couple of reboots, as it kept freezing at that point.

On the iPad, I can't do that because it freezes whenever I select the mail settings. Plus, it is now draining my iPad battery at an accelerated rate. I went to bed with the battery at 34%, I woke up today and now its at 4%.

3. Madmic23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, now I'm totally at a loss as to how to fix this. I did a factory reset on the iPad to erase everything. Plugged it into my MacBook to restore the apps and thinking everything would be just fine. Nope. The restore restored the problem as well. I still can't check e-mail and the mail settings still locks up on the iPad.

I tried to reset all settings on the iPad, which keeps all of your data but forgets everything else. It forgot my wifi network and everything, however it STILL locks up if I go to the mail settings. It's not even online at this point, it just won't let me even see the settings.

Any ideas?