Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wassup121

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
I go on to unlock my ipad mini, but the security code wont work!
I tried all numbers i could think of, I mean i set the code, And its the same as my iphone. Yet...it wont unlock and is now disabled.

Once i plug into iTunes, i can try and try again but no luck.

I cannot restore because Find my iPhone is still on, even though i deleted it from icloud.com

Now what? Can't restore it IOS7, or restore from backup.
This is really stupid

thanks

Kinin2020

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
Take it to an apple store with your invoice. This is not stupid but called antitheft protection.

marcovortex

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
Take it to an apple store with your invoice. This is not stupid but called antitheft protection.

As stated it a anti-theft measure. All you need is your Apple ID and passcode and your good to go. If somehow you have forgotten it contact Apple through support on their website or by calling 1-800-MYAPPLE and they will confirm your identity and help you reset your passcode and you will gain access to your device again. If it is stolen or you cant answer the security questions; your not going to get access to it.

It's really a great system that apple deserves kudos for.. Should help reduce thefts of ios devices and I for one welcome it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

They won't be able to help. They don't have a way to read the passcode and they can't turn off find my iPhone/iPad. And they aren't going to swap your iPad because you can't remember your iPad since that's a software issue not hardware.

Presumably for some reason the whole 'unlock via icloud' is not coming up for you. Perhaps because as you say you removed it from your iCloud.

What you need to do is to plug the iPad into the same computer you have been before. In the summary it should show you if you are backing up to iCloud and the last time. It should hopefully also let you back up via iTunes. (This will only work with the computer you have been using all along if it works at all)

Then restore the iPad. Standard passcodes are not included in the backups so you can get your stuff back and set a new passcode or even none at all.

If the iPad is truly disabled then you might have to try a DFU restore. Plug it into the computer. If an alert about needing the passcode comes up, just cancel. Hold both the sleep and home buttons until it shuts off (takes 3-5 seconds) then let go of only sleep. Should go into recovery mode and you can restore it etc

----------

As stated it a anti-theft measure. All you need is your Apple ID and passcode and your good to go. If somehow you have forgotten it contact Apple through support on their website or by calling 1-800-MYAPPLE

Wrong number.
1-800-APL-CARE is for support, the other is just the ordering over the phone for the online store.

wassup121

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks I'll try the dfu.

Only reason I did my steps as stated was from apple forums I read and people said to do that.
Will try that or just take it to apple.

Not again security measures. It's great, just sucks bc it's mine! Let me unlock it :)

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Heh.

If you are using the same computer you have been using, it shouldn't ask you for the passcode.

Sounds like it was stolen or lost & found. Either way, enjoy "your" iPad mini! :rolleyes:

Cutterschoice

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Heh.

If you are using the same computer you have been using, it shouldn't ask you for the passcode.

Sounds like it was stolen or lost & found. Either way, enjoy "your" iPad mini! :rolleyes:

Every time I plug mine in, it's asks me to remove the passcode, so what the op says is probably true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.