HELP! iPAD REFUSES iOS 4.2.1 UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by StuartCH, Dec 15, 2010.

1. StuartCH macrumors member

Ok, here it goes. I received the iPad on monday night 6PM and my parents let me take it out the box to check it over, everything was great so I decided to plug it into iTunes and install iOS 4.2.1 everything went fine (download took an hour :/) but when it went to install the update, once it got to 'Preparing iPad' the iPad just shut off and froze on an apple screen and iTunes reported an "Error 21". I thought I broke it, seriously! but I tried to remedy it by using restore mode, DFU mode and various other ways of installing firmware and it just didn't work, I was stuck. But then I tried installing iOS 3.2.2 and... ERROR 21... but it just restarted and turned on like normal as if I never tried to install anything, it was in it's previous state, I was relieved! But it still refuses iOS 4.2.1 and I'm really missing out without those features, so will somebody please tell me why my iPad won't install the latest update? thanks

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. Built macrumors 68020

Try temporarily disabling your anti-virus and firewall during the download/installation.

Don't ask me why it works, but it seems to work whenever I have had update problems.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Error21 is usually related with the IPSW file itself, you downloaded it from Apple, right? You may want to try erasing it and re downloading it.

5. StuartCH thread starter macrumors member

I'm on a Mac.

6. StuartCH thread starter macrumors member

When I set it to download from iTunes it kept corrupting so I downloaded the 4.2.1 IPSW from apple's servers/

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah that sound about right, my guess is that your IPSW are bad, you need to find what is corrupting them, either as mentioned before your anti-virus, maybe your connection is flaky and it break the packages....not sure what can it be, but it seen like they are getting corrupted. make sure you delete them (all that you had downloaded before) before re downloading them.

8. StuartCH thread starter macrumors member

Also I tried to do it on 2 other computers, same result.
    I'm thinking about taking it down to the apple store on friday for them to update it for me.