Help ipad went to apple-can I recover rather than restore

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alpacasrme, May 17, 2011.

1. alpacasrme macrumors newbie

Help ipad went to apple-can I recover rather than restore? I guess I pressed the home and off key too long or too many times because now I have Itunes and and cord image on my ipad screen. Is there anyway to recover data--eg Pages or am I SOL? and need to continue with restore which wipes data?

My ipad is running 3.2, is first generation, 16 G with 7 G of available space.
    I use an imac 24" running 10.6.6, 2.8Ghz and 4GB ram.

Thank you for your help. I am in a crush to get ready to leave for Alpaca National in Denver. Couldn't be a worse time
    Franab:mad::(

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Didn't you sync your iPad with a computer? If you did, it would have made a backup when you synced, and you can restore your data from that backup.

3. alpacasrme thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I disengage the restore?

Can I disengage the restore?.. and get anything. I haven't done much syncing because I have had bad luck with syncing. Should I keep 3.2.2 or up grade to 4.3?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, google "kick ipad out of recovery mode" and try some of the programs you'll find.

And for future reference, do make backups. If you don't want to sync, you can make manual backups by right-clicking the device icon in iTunes and selecting "backup" from the pop up menu.

Oh, and if you do need to restore, you'll have to upgrade to 4.3.3. There's no way to install an older iOS version unless you have saved SHSH. Which I'm guessing you probably didn't do.

5. alpacasrme thread starter macrumors newbie

Pids won't die!

Hi,
    Thank you for your assistance. I downloaded Tiny Umbrella and killed the identified pids.
    I have killed @ 8 pids, but when the last was killed a new one showed up...kind of like Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice! What do I do?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry, I don't know what pid is, every time I've used TinyUmbrella to get out of recovery, it worked on the first try. Most likely, there's no way to get your iPad out of recovery, and you'll have to restore.

I feel really bad that you will lose all your data, but I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. :(