HELP iPhone 3GS Contacts!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PhilSmithson, Mar 24, 2012.

1. PhilSmithson macrumors newbie

All I need are my Contacts.

After a rough night out.. iTunes is saying my iPhone 3GS is in recovery mode. I don't have a backup on my iTunes so I will lose my contacts, which is what I really need. I have tried to pull it out of recovery mode. When I do this, the reboot just says the same thing and iTunes continues to ask for a restore to factory default. I thought that I had backed up my data a while back (but not sure exactly), which would have the majority of my contacts on it, but iTunes is not picking up the backup files. I just recently updated iTunes if that is helpful at all. I've tried ifunbox and it pick up my iPhone.

Before going to sleep I noticed that my iPhone was acting up, and i plugged it in and windows asked me what to do with it, and i opened the photo folder and managed to grab all the photos off of it. In the morning it was asking to restore the iPhone.

Ultimate goal here is to get my contacts. I have bought an iPhone 4S but of course I don't have anything on it yet.

fyi: posted this in wrong section earlier, sorry :\

2. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

First thing to try is to unplug your phone from your PC if it's plugged in. Then hold both the power and home buttons down at the same time until the Apple logo appears and at that point, let go of just the power button (some keep the home button pushed down). Then keep the home button pushed down for about 5-10 seconds and then let go of it and see if your phone boots up normally.

If that doesn't work then I've heard that Tiny Umbrella can be used to get iPhones out of recovery mode, but I've not looked into it myself.

If that still doesn't work, then you could try looking to see if you have in fact backed up you phone before. To find your (potential) iPhone backups:

On Mac:

/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

On Windows:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\SyncServices\Local

Then you could use this to try and extract your contacts.

Let me know how it all goes.

3. PhilSmithson thread starter macrumors newbie

I couldn't see any backup files in that folder, and tiny umbrella as well as other programs didn't get me out of recovery mode.

4. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

Unfortunately I'm out of suggestions then. You may just have to bite the bullet and restore your iPhone.

I know this is probably the last thing you want to hear right now, but try to make sure you do backup regularly in future. My sister had the same thing happen to her and I daren't think how many other people have lost all of their contacts as well.

Anyway, apologies I can't help any further.