Help!iPhone 4 cannot access to Internet by using att wifi hotspot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geniuschen, Jun 27, 2010.

1. geniuschen macrumors newbie

I tried to connect to the att wifi hotspot from my local McDonald.
    However, I ended up receiving an IP address starting at 169 and couldn't connect to the internet.
    Anyone knows the possible reason or has the same issue?

I thought the Iphone should connect to the att wifi automatically.....
    BTW, the wifi of my phone works well at my apartment.

Thanks.

2. geniuschen thread starter macrumors newbie

3. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried it at McDonald's but at Starbucks you have to launch Safari once your iPhone connects to the WiFi signal. At that point, Safari will automatically redirect to the Starbucks Hot Spot login page. Once you log in, you shouldn't have to log in again with subsequent visits.

Does McDonald's hot spot re-direct your browser to a log in page of any sort?

Does your iPhone show that it is connected to their network?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

After July 1st, you don't need to login anymore at Starbucks, it's free WiFi for all.

5. geniuschen thread starter macrumors newbie

After i launched safari, it just showed 'cannot connect to internet'
    Iphone showed it connected to the wifi but i couldn't get a usable IP address...

6. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

I just went there to pick up a quick bite and tried connecting - same problem. Did a little googling and found that this is a frequent problem. There's an iPhone app which is supposed to make it easier, but you should read the reviews of the app before downloading it (not so great).

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB103010

http://208.74.204.154/t5/Apple/connecting-to-AT-amp-T-WiFi-hotspot-with-my-iPhone-in-Portland/td-p/1691121

7. geniuschen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dude.
    I know the software you were talking about but I just don't want to pay for a low rated app.
    Also the connection should be free ,right?...
    I might go to apple store to test the att wifi there..
    I am very surprised that there is no att wifi spot in att store.
    But I am not surprised that the people in att don't know how to solve the problem.....

8. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

If you get a redirect (which you shouldn't on your AT&T iPhone), just simply turn off wifi and turn it back on (and if your phone doesn't automatically do this, connect to the attwifi network.) That should do the trick. I hope this helps.

9. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I used to be able to get on at McDonald's - like a year ago. And then I couldn't. No idea what happened. I don't get this log-in screen everyone else talks about. I get asked to join the network, do, and then nothing ever happens, and eventually I drop back to 3G. I had hoped maybe this would be an issue associated with my old Iphone 3G and the Iphone 4 would cure it, but sure enough, it happened the other day at a McDonald's with my one-day old Iphone 4. I will try clearing my Safari history as someone in one of the links says, though. Maybe I'm hung up with an old page that we don't need and it's causing some kind of error.

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I used my iPhone 4 at a McDonalds over the weekend without an issue. It was connected as soon as I walked in the place. I had to do nothing special. Maybe there was a problem with that location's WiFi. I've encountered problems in the past because of the specific location's issues though.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Even if you're connecting to a free internet service, you still need to authenticate and agree to the terms of use. As others have said, you'll try and go to Macrumors, it will redirect to a user agreement page, you agree, and then you surf. But seriously, you're surprised that McDonalds' WiFi is having problems?

12. Roadrash3 macrumors newbie

I just tried it out this morning to use face time. No problem here, I went onto the Internet,it prompted me to chose attwifi,I did. Then I went and used face time, I had no problems connecting

13. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

As mentioned above, I couldn't connect, so I cleared Safari's history, cache, and cookies. Immediately when I attempted to get online at McDonald's, I was greeted with a log-on page, which I had never seen since the very first time I used their wifi long ago. So if you're having problems, follow that advice given many posts above. It works.