HELP!!! iPhone 4 jailbreak not working

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by babsybee, Aug 25, 2011.

1. babsybee macrumors newbie

Help! I have been trying this for almost 12 hours now and I am desperate!
    I first tried jalbreaking my iphone with pwnage, then with redsnow, both softwares got to the point where I would have to restore my iphone with their customized .ipsw, but everytime it tries to finish, itunes pops up a warning (picture attached.
    I am so desperate! What can I do?

(I am running the 4.3.3 software, no clue about the band, because I cant even turn my phone on, also, my phone is not active with any carrier right now. I was with ATT, switched to a different phone/carrier, now trying to unlock/jailbreak my iphone for Tmobile)

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

redsn0w doesn't require a custom IPSW. It works with what is currently on the iDevice.

3. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Can you put the phone into DFU mode, then click Shift+Restore in iTunes (it should pop up and say "iTunes has detected a device in recovery mode"). After that select your 4.3.3 firmware and install (I would recommend downloading it from iClarified (if using Windows, make sure you click "save target as", then choose "all files" from the drop down at the bottom of the window, add ".ipsw" to the file name when you save it - otherwise, windows likes to save it as a Zip file).

If you want to JB after that, go with the Jailbreakme.com version.

Sorry if you've already tried this (also, make sure it's DFU mode, and not just recovery with the iTunes USB connection logo on the iPhone screen).

4. babsybee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks for the replies, i used whatever redsnow ipsw was (came as a bundle) and for pwnage they made a custom one, neither worked. I have a mac.

i can not use jailbreakme.com because i dont have service with the phone, therefore i cannot go online with it (and you need to access jalbreakme from your phone)

when i get to the restore part, i hold down option and click on the itunes restore button...it tries loading it but then that warning pops up that i had attached. the only thing i can do is upgrade to 4.3.5 and restore it, but then i cant jailbreak it anymore with redsnow or anything else (havent found anything yet). Any suggestions?

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Unless the baseband was preserved from firmware 4.0/4.0.1 and is 1.59, you won't be able to unlock it with ultrasn0w anyway. You'll need a Gevey SIM, and most of their models don't require a jailbreak.

And do you have blobs for 4.3.3? If not, that's likely why you can't restore.

6. babsybee thread starter macrumors newbie

hahaha, sorry, I have no clue what you just said :) could you explain a blob? i dont know my baseband

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Irish Vixen is correct you need SHSH blobs to restore to anything other than 4.3.5.

Simple explanation: Apple prevents you from updating to any version of IOS except current version. They do this by signing only that version.

SHSH blobs is signing fake out so that you can install other version. You have to capture the SHSH blobs while it is still being signed for future use.

Hope this helps.

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

That's what I was afraid of.

You're the original owner of the phone?

If so, and you have no idea about blobs or preserved basebands, you can't unlock that phone through software. SHSH blobs are a security signature; they're unique to your device and must be saved while Apple is still signing a given firmware. Otherwise, you cannot downgrade or restore to anything other than what Apple is currently signing--which right now is 4.3.5.

As for baseband, if you didn't take active steps to preserve 1.59 from when the phone was on 4.01, your baseband isn't unlockable with software, period. Your only unlock option is a hardware one, and you'll need to purchase a Gevey SIM to use TMobile. You'll need to research that so you know what you're getting into. If you go that route, you will be unable to upgrade to iOS 5 as it is not compatible.

9. babsybee thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm...so youre saying i should either upgrade to 4.3.5 or get gevey sim? or just get gevey sim?

----------

and yes, i am the original owner, no clue about blobs and basebands. :) lucky me

10. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Well, if you can't get the phone to even turn on, odds are you're not going to be able to get back to 4.3.3. If you had blobs, we could walk you through a restore, but without them, it's not going to work.

Once you're on 4.3.5, you can either stick with AT&T--which won't require anything--or get a Gevey SIM if you want to use TMobile.

11. babsybee thread starter macrumors newbie

im reading up on gevey....it says i always have to keep the gevey card in the slot with the tmobile card...thatll never fit!
    im so frustrated!

12. babsybee thread starter macrumors newbie

i just tried updating to 4.3.5...no luck. doesnt allow it either.... so i guess im stuck with a gevey sim?

----------

but my phone still wont turn on

13. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Hm - sounds like my issue. I'm on 4.1 and cannot upgrade to 4.3.3 (is this because I didn't have that version running when Apple was signing 4.3.3?).

Now I try to update to 4.3.5, and I get an error message. I have no idea what would cause this.

I'm not running Tiny Umbrella, or trying to install a firmware that I have on my computer - I'm simply trying to update to 4.3.5 as Apple intended, and I can't. Not trying to thread-jack, but if someone has a solution to this, it would help me and OP out!

Thanks!

14. iFiend macrumors 65816

I do not think you're understanding this process at all. Which is fine, we were all n00bs once :)

You keep saying that you cannot get 4.3.5, or 4.3.3, or a custom firmware, whatever - so should you use gevey. These things have nothing to do with one another. The things with the numbers, like 4.3.5, are the iPhone firmware. It is not possible for you to have an iPhone without one of those firmwares. Your iPhone is currently on some version of firmware, for certain.

Now, the gevey SIM is what you will use to unlock your phone to use with T-mo. The two things, firmware and gevey, have nothing to do with one another. The only thing that you need to worry about as far as the two of them together is that the firmware is compatible with the gevey, which everything from 4.3.5 down is.

Since you have not saved blobs you must update to 4.3.5 stock. There is no way that iTunes is not allowing you to update to 4.3.5 stock. You have to be doing something wrong.

You need to give us more details. Can you turn the phone on? When you try to restore in iTunes, what does it say?

Sorry if any of this is blunt, it is not meant to be. We just need you to understand the concepts so that you can get your phone up and running on the carrier you want.

----------

Your phone not being on 4.3.3 since you've had it has nothing to do with it. Do ll of your blobs saved? You either need to use Tinyumbrella to point to Cydia's servers so that you can restore to 4.3.3 or you need to restore to a pre-signed IPSW of 4.3.3

The reason that you cannot update to 4.3.5 is because TU has changed your host files.

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

What error re you getting when you try to upgrade to 4.3.5 is it 1013 or 1015. If so it means your host file has been modified by Tiny Umbrella when you used it to save SHSH.

Open Tiny Umbrella go to advance options and uncheck the box that says leave host file pointing to cydia on exit. Click ok and close Tiny Umbrella. Then do a restore to 4.3.5 on Itunes.

Remember to Close TU if you don't it will not work.

16. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks nebo & iFiend. I have not manually saved 4.3.3 SHSH blobs (by opening TU w/ my device attached & clicking 'save SHSH blobs') except for right before I attempted the 4.3.3 update (I was on 4.1 at the time).

Unfortuantely, I don't recall what the error was - but I'd really rather update from 4.1 to 4.3.3 & leave 4.3.5 out of it for now if I can...

Should I not use TU when going from 4.1 to 4.3.3? I really can't figure out why the update didn't work... Thanks again for all of the helpful advice. I'll put it good use & pass it along once I get it all down :)

17. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You have a Mac and internet to download redsn0w. Just share your internet with your Mac and use JBme!

18. iFiend macrumors 65816

Do you at least have your blobs saved in Cydia? It is impossible to go to 4.3.3 at this time without blobs saved locally on your machine or remotely on Cydia's servers. 100%

19. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That I don't know... Is there a way to tell if 4.3.3 blobs are saved via cydia (I'm currently un-JB'd & on 4.1)? I suppose I could re-JB W/ Greepois0n if I had to access Cydia. Thanks again Fiend!

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

people should learn about Jailbreaking before they attempt it. ;) I know people are going to say that's why I'm asking. However you don't know who knows what I have seen more misinformation then correct info. Not to mention it be nice if people searched from time to time.

21. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thanks for the pointers... I actually did alright with jailbreaking in the past. I haven't done it since 4.1, though. Want to make sure I'm clear on a few details to determine if there is something wrong with my device, or if it's just my lack of information since I evidently didn't need to know said things for my last JB...