Help! iPhone 4 "other" space increases daily!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by L4Leonard, Nov 29, 2011.

1. L4Leonard macrumors regular

L4Leonard

So, all sudden my iPhone 4 running 5.0.1 has decided to steadily increase my "other" data with about 100mb a day! Why is this! Help!

(The iPhone has been jailbroken, but before restoring thru both recovery mode and just a simple restore i manually deleted all installed Cydia components, and then re- created from a back up taken after that.)

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Safari cache? Game play data? Go to Settings > Usage and you can track individual app usage.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Camera Roll? Photos and videos taken with the Camera.app show up as Other in iTunes.

4. jasonrusso macrumors newbie

Has anyone figured this out? Everyday it grows 100mb regardless if I download anything. This time I didn't even put music on it, because the "delete F folders" trick doesn't work.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

For me, my "Other" was the size of all of the pictures and videos in my iMessages.

I figured this out by turning off all sync options in iTunes. With no apps, music, video, books, photos, etc ... iTunes still showed 1.95GB of "other".

I wondered if it was my email cached, so I removed all of my accounts. That didn't do anything.

The only thing left on my phone were my txts (iMessages). I went in there and started deleting conversations (with friends I know I have sent pictures/videos to), and only then did the size of the "other" start to go down.

Fun. :roll eyes: :D

6. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

aristobrat is correct. I've also found that emails with attachments that either the preview has been loaded, or videos that I've watched through email count as well.

7. cynics macrumors G3

I'd think a lot of it is cache from random apps. I remember face book using 160 mb now it's at 256 mb. I have plenty of space left so I have seen any app clean itself (purge its cache).

The amount of space used by photos has become monstrous too.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

An app's cache is counted as being part of the app's overall size and is included in the green app section in iTunes.