Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L4Leonard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
So, all sudden my iPhone 4 running 5.0.1 has decided to steadily increase my "other" data with about 100mb a day! Why is this! Help!

(The iPhone has been jailbroken, but before restoring thru both recovery mode and just a simple restore i manually deleted all installed Cydia components, and then re- created from a back up taken after that.)

jasonrusso

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
Has anyone figured this out? Everyday it grows 100mb regardless if I download anything. This time I didn't even put music on it, because the "delete F folders" trick doesn't work.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
For me, my "Other" was the size of all of the pictures and videos in my iMessages.

I figured this out by turning off all sync options in iTunes. With no apps, music, video, books, photos, etc ... iTunes still showed 1.95GB of "other".

I wondered if it was my email cached, so I removed all of my accounts. That didn't do anything.

The only thing left on my phone were my txts (iMessages). I went in there and started deleting conversations (with friends I know I have sent pictures/videos to), and only then did the size of the "other" start to go down.

Fun. :roll eyes: :D

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
For me, my "Other" was the size of all of the pictures and videos in my iMessages.

I figured this out by turning off all sync options in iTunes. With no apps, music, video, books, photos, etc ... iTunes still showed 1.95GB of "other".

I wondered if it was my email cached, so I removed all of my accounts. That didn't do anything.

The only thing left on my phone were my txts (iMessages). I went in there and started deleting conversations (with friends I know I have sent pictures/videos to), and only then did the size of the "other" start to go down.

Fun. :roll eyes: :D

aristobrat is correct. I've also found that emails with attachments that either the preview has been loaded, or videos that I've watched through email count as well.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'd think a lot of it is cache from random apps. I remember face book using 160 mb now it's at 256 mb. I have plenty of space left so I have seen any app clean itself (purge its cache).

The amount of space used by photos has become monstrous too.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'd think a lot of it is cache from random apps. I remember face book using 160 mb now it's at 256 mb. I have plenty of space left so I have seen any app clean itself (purge its cache).

The amount of space used by photos has become monstrous too.

An app's cache is counted as being part of the app's overall size and is included in the green app section in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.