HELP! iPhone 5 broke today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djdsas, Aug 18, 2016.

1. djdsas macrumors member

my iPhone 5(Verizon) lightning port broke(long story). I tried to have it repaired by a local shop
    unsuccessfully.

With the iPhone 7 release just over a month away, I really don't want to purchase the 6s, however I need a phone.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make it until the iPhone 7 is released(dumb phone that would work on Verizon with the iPhone 5 micro sim ,etc).

Thanks !

2. dragon671556 macrumors member

dragon671556

Depends on your needs. You probably could find a pay as you go Verizon phone somewhere and put your SIM in or if you have to use apps and stuff and really need the phone just buy the 6s. Verizon might have a good deal on the 6s right now anyway.

3. jetlagged macrumors 6502

My 4 year old iPhone 5 died a few days ago. I bought the iPhone SE the following day knowing iPhone 7 comes up next month and the price reduction of iPhone 6s/plus. I needed a phone and the SE was perfect at the price point. No regrets. I tell people it's the iPhone 5s, lol, but mofo is a freaking beast in the insides

4. comptr macrumors 65816

Well why not look on CL or find a cellphone store in the mall that sells used phones and find a Cheap Flip Phone with a Clean ESN, it shouldn't cost more then 30.00 and then use that till the iPhone 7 comes out.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Buy an iPhone 3GS or something and be retro for the next month :D

6. comptr macrumors 65816

He is on Verizon the Oldest iPhone he could get is the iPhone 4.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You could get an iPhone 5 on swappa for like $150 and then sell it in a month to recoup most of your costs.

8. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I had this entire write up about using a Verizon LTE prepaid phone on post paid but something may have changed.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2016/02/new-policy-may-require-verizon-prepaid.html?m=1
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2016 ---
    $150 is way too much for the hassle on such a old phone. I personally would just get the iPhone SE from Best Buy for $240 on device payment plan and receive $200 gift card when opening a new line. Pay of phone, cancel line and keep the SE and $200 gift card. Especially smart if you're going to purchase stuff from Best Buy anyway.
    I did something similar at target last week but got $400 in gift cards for a $400 iPhone SE. $400 in Target gift cards is like cash. You will always need food and supplies. You can even use the gift cards to purchase other branded gift cards.