Help iphone 5 dropped in toilet!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Joybulb, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

She immediately took it out after it dropped in(clean water, didn't go yet). It seemed fine right after, but I turned it off, and did my best to get any water out, now it's in a bag of rice. Any suggestions? Has anyone done this and had an iphone live a complete and fulfilling life afterwards? Are the newer idevices less prone to immediately breaking after a plunge? I had a 2gen touch I dropped in the bath, 4 yrs ago and it was immediately dead.

2. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

My 5 dropped on the toilet and I took it out as soon as it happened but it was all wonked out. I ended up getting it replaced because in the long run you never know what could have happened inside the phone which would cause it to short out or whatnot. I have AppleCare+ so I was able to replace it with a $50 fee, but I don't know whether or not she has one.

3. Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

We have squaretrade. Since when does AppleCare+ cover water damage?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd leave it in rice for a few days and hope for the best.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since it was first offered:

From the AppleCare+ for iPhone Agreement:

6. Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

Hmm, now my question is this. With squaretrade you can take the broken phone to an apple store and get a replacement for $200, then ST will reimburse you. In this case the i5 is discontinued. I'm wondering if they'll have me get the 5c instead? It's a problem that has only existed for about a month. Probably not many examples like this exist yet.

7. StrangeMagic66 macrumors newbie

It happened to me. My iphone fell into a huge puddle of water.

Whatever you do, do NOT turn it on. That can fry the phone. Let it sit in rice for at least 3 days. I know it's tough to wait but it worked for me and my phone was as good as new. But constantly turning it on to check to see if it's working might preventing it from working.... so be patient.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

they have plenty of iphone 5 units to replace yours with. you won't get a 5c. further, i think the out of warranty replacement cost is $269 (up from $229).

9. Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

Regardless of cost ST will reimburse me for it, so I'm thinking out of warranty replacement is the best option, as long as they let me get a 5c(I assume they won't have any 5's in stock anymore)

----------

Def going to try this for several days. Where's the magic number of 3 days come from? I was thinking about going a week.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will not get a 5C.
    They have plenty of iPhone 5 in stock and they will for years.
    They still got iPhone 4 models for replacements in stock.

11. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Quoted for truth.

Unless Apple pulls some something like the 3GS OOW replacement upgrade to 4. Except some people (myself included) would consider the 5C a downgrade from the 5.

12. Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

Definitely, I would much rather have a 5, good to hear that they'll have 5's in stock for OOW.

13. Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

Tonight will be 4 days. I'm going to wake the sleeping beast. Wish me luck

14. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502

Ledsteplin

My sister in law dropped her LG Lucid in the toilet, got it right out, then in rice for a couple days. No problems so far. But, that's a different animal.

15. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I dropped my iPhone 4 into a pan of boiling water whilst cooking... got it out immediately...

Was a bit funky after, kept thinking headphones were plugged in... but I never actually turned it off or did the rice thing.

After about 3 hours it was fine... maybe I was just lucky as hell.

Still have it now - this happened over a year ago

16. Tennille macrumors newbie

I dropped my iPhone 5 in the toilet and was sitting in the bottom of the bowl.
    It immediately shut down and would not turn back on. I put in the middle of a full bowl of white rice and let it sit. 7 days later tried to turn it back on and was good as new. Everything works perfectly fine! Give it a go!

17. izzie12 macrumors newbie

I think the whole rice thing is a waste of time. I dropped my iphone5s down the toilet and I panicked and called my friend so it was in there for about 40 seconds and I had flushed it too.
    It was fine and working, but to be sure we opened it and dried it with a hairdryer.

Cant believe its working. The indicator hadnt changed colour either.

So good, cant believe it.

Oh, I did give the rice thing a try for a day till I could get the phone opened, I dont think it did anything, there was a big drop of water in the phone and a grain of rice haha

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you give it a few days, it will work fine.

19. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

Every situation is different. No guarantees.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

True, but I was replying to someone who said the rice method was a waste of time. It certainly is sometimes, but other times it works perfectly.

The sure fire, 100% proven way to dry your phone out after you drop it in water is to avoid doing it in the first place. :rolleyes: