[Help] iPhone 5 water damaged, partially fixed

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by anaqvi786, Aug 5, 2013.

1. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Hello everyone
    I have an iPhone 5 black on Verizon, which accidentally went into the laundry machine with the rest of the load (there was no soap on the phone). After 5 minutes in, I realized that the iPhone was there, and I was able to take it out mid cycle. I put it into some rice, but it didn't help. I decided to remove the motherboard and rubbed with 70% Isoprophyl Alcohol. Now, everything except for the LCD works (makes charging sound when plugged in, vibrates, syncs with iTunes, but the LCD won't show anything because it is too damaged), and I also found that I can't use any communication services, like Cellular (wont ring when called) and WiFi (both verified by the phone being offline in find my iPhone). I am thinking of ordering a new screen off of eBay, and possibly a new WiFi antenna as well as a Cellular antenna. Am I doing good so far or should I do some other things to go about this scenario?

2. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

get an out of warranty replacement at the apple store.

3. anaqvi786 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have the cash and time for an out of warranty replacement.

4. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

time - it takes less than rubbing alcohol on a motherboard.
    cash - $199 would be what you would be looking at for replacements for those parts anyway... or close to it.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

One of these two quotes is correct. I just don't know which one.

Either you don't have the time or cash for an Out of Warranty replacement or you have plenty of time and cash to buy a screen and replace it yourself.

Which quote is the right one?

6. H01D3N macrumors newbie

7. Lylyluvda916 macrumors regular

how many days was it in rice?

When i wet my phone it took a whole week before it finally worked. Like other users have mentioned, you could always do an out of warranty exchange which will cost you.

Tip: Set up an appointment with an apple genius. In the past the guys in blue would say i need to buy another iphone at full price but an apple genius let me but it for $199.

8. anaqvi786 thread starter macrumors regular

I meant that I don't have a lot of money, and I want to just replace what I need and not replace the whole phone itself. Also, the nearest apple store is 50 miles from my location. Driving to the apple store will take me 3-4 hours one way vs 50 minutes for the repair.

----------

I have AppleCare but not AppleCare+

----------

It was in rice in 72 hours, but it had a lot of corrosion. It didn't work, so I did the isoprophyl alcohol trick and everything but the LCD connector port works. The LCD connector port has corrosion in the middle of the pins and I will have to send it in for repair.

9. phillies262834 macrumors member

So you drive at 12-16 MPH for 50 Miles?

BTW, an Out of Warranty Replacement costs $229, about the same price of an oem LCD.

10. anaqvi786 thread starter macrumors regular

A new LCD costs $160 at apple, at eBay it's like $90.

11. phillies262834 macrumors member

Don't you sill need a new motherboard because of the corroded connector socket for the LCD?

12. JoeiDevice macrumors newbie

Well if you plugged it in while there was still some water lingering in the phone it may not be able to be fixed. If you open the phone and see black marks on the connectors then it is basically burned. You never want to plug your phone into the charger after water damage. You should have soaked the motherboard in alcohol and brushed rest of the connectors.

13. anaqvi786 thread starter macrumors regular

As of now, there aren't black marks on it, so thats good. i did try to get the rest of the connectors, but everything except the screen is working. I think there could be some corrosion, but i doubt it. I think i will just go with a replacement instead.

----------

I dont think so. But then again, i am 13 and a total noob.