Help: Iphone 5s videos in low quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mortenjensen, Jul 10, 2015.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I have experienced something really quite disturbing: On my iphone 5s, a lot of my video footage have a very low quality. Some of my clips are excellent, but for some reason, a lot of the clips seem to be recorded with a much lower quality, sd or so.
    The only explanation, I can come up with is actually "scary": the videos in low quality have all been sent to friends with iMessage. Does iMessage downgrade videos on the image roll, that is, destroying the actual footage???

Thanks a lot for any help to solve why so many videos have come out in bad quality and some not.

Morten

2. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

3. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

Sending over iMessage results in a quality reduction, yes.

You can test this by sending yourself footage and comparing file sizes. 1080p footage shot on a 5s gets dropped to 720 and probably further compressed. 720p clips also get heavily recompressed. The file sizes of the iMessage versions are much smaller than the originals. Makes sense since high quality video is so bandwith intensive.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

That's right - iMessage compresses video to reduce bandwidth and to prevent data from being eaten up.

5. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I know it does so within iMessage itself - but does it at the same time compress the original file on the camera roll???

If, this means that you cannot send anything through iMessage without destroying your clips!!!

Morten