HELP: iPhone and iTouch Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by melancholiac, Dec 5, 2010.

1. melancholiac macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm new here and i think this is a pretty great forum for new and old i-phone users. I'd like to ask since I'm stuck right now because I can't seem to push this button for fear of erasing all my data and restoring a non-updated backup and never being able to get my current data back again.

Situation is, I've used an i-Touch for two years and all my data, apps, pictures, videos, are in it. It is backed up every time i go to i-tunes on my laptop. I recently bought an iphone4 and restored it with the i-touch data. i had successfully done this and iphone4 is working fine. i've managed to copy all the videos from my i-touch to my laptop using 4media iphone max as I manually add music and videos to my i-touch before and would like to do the same with the iphone4.

So now, I try to tick on the "Manually Manage Music and Videos" on the main screen. When i click APPLY, a box pops up saying, "this i-phone is synced with another i-tunes library. Do you want to erase this i-phone and sync with this i-tunes library?" An i-phone can only be synced with one i-tunes library at a time. erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this i-phone with the contents of this i-tunes library."

I only have two options to tick, ERASE AND SYNC, or CANCEL. When I cancel, of course the settings retain and i am unable to manually add music and videos.

So the question is, do I erase and sync?? If i do, what happens? Will i retain my current data that is properly synced already to my iphone4? Or will it erase what I have and leave me with non-current data?

Would appreciate help and sure advice on this as I can't afford to lose my current data and have no reference to restore on.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the long post.

2. melancholiac thread starter macrumors newbie

3. chadvonnau macrumors newbie

Every time you plug your iphone in, it's synced the same way that your ipod is. You should be able to do an erase and sync, then restore from a backup if it deletes your stuff.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

just press erase & sync... If it erases your music you can then drop the songs into your iPhone (which it usually doesn't, it just erases the older setting AFI Remember), music from your iTunes will not get deleted by the Erase & Sync...