Help! iPhone damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dtp8513, May 19, 2014.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

I recently dropped my iPhone in water and its now completely broken. What is the best/most affordable way to get a new one? I have heard you can add a line on AT&T or is my best bet to take it to Apple.

One thought I had was to get one from AT&T today by adding another line; then if my other phone "dries" out and starts working, I can return it in the 14 days. If not, I can sell the broken on one eBay to cover some of the costs.

Any recommendations/advice would be great.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Out of warranty replacement from apple for $279.

3. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

+1
    (I believe it's less if it's an old model)

No more lines, contracts or anything. Just a new phone to replace the broken one.

4. cyborg03 macrumors newbie

not fit for purpose

iPhone started to play up then stopped working went to phone shop they were as helpful as heat lamp in the desert so went to apple care(LESS) and sent it back for it to be lost by UPS eventually found it though did not receive promised call from apple. but eventually got email from apple care to say water damage??? apparently one of the 5 internal water indicators was red so pay up for repair. the only water i have been near was rain so if this item of electronics can get wet in your pocket in the rain then it is definitely unfit for purpose. I was an electronic engineer for 30 years and am now in the QA role and we would never accept such poor quality design and charge such a inflated price for it. still apple said in their most determinative manor "tough" pay for repai. so i said no thanks ill go to Samsung android and flog this on ebay to some other unsuspecting smuck sorry just wanted to spread the word. so i suggest you buy a descent product.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

That was a great first post. Thank you for your contribution.

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Is it possible you left your iPhone in your jean's pocket and ran it through the wash a couple of times?
    It's easy to do and even easier to forget you did so.

Will a Samsung Android survive such a mishap?
    Perhaps, then again- maybe not.

I'd suggest you double check your pants pockets for your iPhone (or, Samsung Android) and remove it before laundry day.
    (I'd even do so the night before, just in the abundance of caution.)

Either way: Welcome to MacRumors. Enjoy your stay.

7. cyborg03 macrumors newbie

:D:eek:

I know i am in QA an an engineer but i can 100% guarantee it did not go through the wash or any other pool of water as agreed by apple when they say only 1 of the 5 indicators, the one internal near the top one was red all others were ok. they even agreed that this was more than likely how it was done to Quote the guy on the phone" it can happen in hot humid climates" that's poor design sorry to say it but its true. PS it is an iPhone 5, 9 months old.

And thank you for the welcome

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    Okay dokie then.
    If this did happen though it's nothing to be ashamed of. I've (almost) done it myself on numerous occasions.

9. cyborg03 macrumors newbie

LOL im not ashamed of it but i really think apple should be. Not saying it could not happen to any other product but it did happen to the iPhone and with all of the latest tec around for a big company like that i think its a very poor reflection on their product and skill set may be they need to employ some descent engineers from the military background they understand users we used to call it soldier proofing it. still samsun have a new ambasidor... for now any way haha:rolleyes:

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Analogy police here.

Heat lamps are actually very helpful in the desert... at night. It can get VERY cold!

11. cyborg03 macrumors newbie

point taken but only if they work ie weren't made by apple as they would not have heated up. But point taken and thank you for the correction :eek:

12. JayMarcel macrumors newbie

My friend spilled her drink over her iphone accidentally the other day.....but its working fine thankfully :D