help! iPhone died again, second time this week!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluelondon, Aug 28, 2008.

1. bluelondon macrumors regular

for the second time in a few days, my 3g iphone suddenly stopped working and is now stuck at the apple screen. i tried holding the home+sleep buttons for 10 seconds and then releasing the sleep button and continuing to hold the home button for an extra 5 to activate recovery mode and then itunes recognizes the iphone, but when i try to restore it i get an error saying 'iphone cannot be restored, an unknown error occured (1621)'

what can i do?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ps: whilst searching for some answers online i found this post by a user on another forum, is this true?

"The 16xx errors are iTunes or USB-related and either incredibly hard or insanely easy to solve, even Apple isn't sure on how to properly solve them.

Things you can try are:
    • Change USB ports
    • Use DFU Mode
    • Remove the SIM card
    • Downgrade iTunes and restore to 1.1.4
    • Completely turn off and unplug your computer for five minutes before trying again
    • Use another computer"

2. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I dont know if the 16xx thing is true, but I would try all those things in the list, I cant think of anything better to do except take it to apple to fix.

3. jeffreyfort macrumors member

resetting iPhone

I copied this from somewhere. You might try this. Let us know how it works.

So here is the way to force a hard reset (this will erase all data so hopefully you have backed up!)

I used this when my iPhone 3G was stuck on the Apple logo and would not do anything else. Even after a hard reset (Holding down the home button and power button for 10 seconds). iTunes would also not recognize my iPhone when plugged in.

1. Hold down the home button and power button at the same time. This will force the screen to fade and the Apple Logo to reappear. KEEP holding the two buttons down until the iPhone shuts off.

2. Once the iPhone is off plug one end of the usb cable into the PC .

3. Open iTunes

4. While holding down the Home button plug the cable into the iPhone.
    Continue holding the home button until the you the iTunes logo and the picture of the cable on the iPhone screen. This may take up to 30 seconds.

5. Voila! iTunes should now detect the iPhone and you can perform a restore.

4. bluelondon thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, trying this now

pray for me :(

*edit*

thanks alot jeffery, it's working and the restore is under way. much appreciated.

but guys, this is the second time this has happend, is this to be expected at this stage with the iphone software being so unstable? or is my iphone just faulty?

or maybe some of the 3rd party apps are causing these problems?