Help: iPhone Integration w/ Google Voice

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nim6us, Jul 19, 2013.

1. nim6us macrumors member

nim6us

It's been a while I've been on Android, but I'm looking at coming back to iPhone. However one of my biggest issues was the integration with Google voice. I know in the past Apple was banning Google Voice apps because they didn't want collusion in the walled garden. However my Google Voice number is very important to me, can you easily send and receive calls with Google Voice? Or does it still require a series of third party apps, cumbersome additional screens and settings for each phone call?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

You still have to use some apps to do it, but the official Google Voice app is there for most of that, along with another popular one (that even allows for VoIP-like calling using your Google Voice number/account) called Talkatone.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^^^This.

Talkatone is easy to use and will take care of all of the steps. It just needs your Google account and password.

The free version is ad supported, but is very good. The paid version has better sound quality although the free version works just fine.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

If you have your incoming GV calls routed to your iPhone number then that's taken care of. You can make GV calls via the Google Voice app.

If you're talking about VOIP see the above references to Talkatone.

If you're jailbroken then you have a couple of choices of Google Voice tweaks to pick from (iOS 6).

5. nim6us thread starter macrumors member

nim6us

Wow, well I have to say I'm impressed. Apparently Sprint has been working with Google, because I was able to integrate the account via the GV portal and it just works like magic! I can send and receive calls, texts, SMS, etc all naively on the iPhone. There's no 3rd party apps required! The only caveat is it's still not fully working with voicemail. You get transcribed messages in a text, but no visual voicemail. Not a big deal for me, usually I don't check VMs I just return the call. Either way, if this would have been available I may have never left iPhone.

Sidenote: I'm working on a blog article comparing and contrasting my experience with Apple and Android. Most articles are so biased and usually never come from users who have spent years with both devices. Either way, I'll be sure to post the link here when I'm finished. Thanks for all the feedback!

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ah, yes, Sprint is pretty much completely different with respect to Google Voice due to their integration. You pretty much won't get the same kind of features with any other provider with an iPhone (without some additional apps, which will still only take it so far).

7. phositadc macrumors 6502

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm interested in hearing from people who use Google Voice with iPhone on Verizon.

I just switched from Android and have been messing around with it. I'M NOT USING VOIP, just the regular Google Voice app.

I notice that when I make calls, if I want it to show my Google Voice #, I have to initiate the call from the Google Voice app. But that then seems to open the native iPhone dialer, and place a call to some random number, which then apparently forwards/connects to the actual number that I dialed from the Google Voice app. Does all of that sound correct?

I understand that it uses only my Verizon minutes, and does not use any data at all. Is that also correct?

Have people generally been happy with this setup? I honestly don't mind using the Google Voice app to dial the call, assuming everything else generally works seamlessly. Just curious to hear from people who have been doing it for an extended amount of time to see if they've been happy with placing outgoing calls with the GV app. For instance, is there noticeable lag when you are talking, or reduced voice quality, or anything else negative?

Thanks.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can also now use Google Hangouts to place and receive calls using your Google Voice number (aside from Talkatone).

9. phositadc macrumors 6502

I think that uses data though, rather than minutes.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Again, Talkatone.

Why mess around when Talkatone has it down and has made it dead simple?

11. phositadc macrumors 6502

I don't need to use VoIP. I have unlimited minutes, but not unlimited data. I just want my calls to show up as being placed from my gv number. Just seeking people's experiences.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Talkatone is not limited to VOIP. It works over 3G, 4G, LTE, whatever cellular connection you have. You can limit if to strictly WiFi if you want of course, but it is not a WiFi only app.

Talkatone's dialer will show your GV number.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Google Hangouts has Google's own implementation if that so it might be better from quality point of view at least.

----------

But it uses data (be it WiFi or something else) rather than minutes, which is what the poster was asking about it seems.

----------

The way you described it earlier sounds like the right way to do that. No matter how it actually dials out it will show up as coming from you Google Voice number and will use your minutes rather than data. There will be some data usage when you get into the Google Voice app and it updates itself at launch and all that, but it's not that much data. If you use messaging from it or listen to voicemails from the app, that will use some more data.

14. phositadc macrumors 6502

Correct
    ----------

Thanks. Seems like it will do what I want. Would be curious to hear from anybody who has used it for awhile to see if they've been happy. Don't want to port my # to google voice and then have to port it back so trying to figure everything out beforehand.