Help! iPhone screen is possessed, incosistent swiping

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by scirica, Dec 10, 2009.

1. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I have a jailbroken 3gs with no issues for months. All of a sudden after being on for a few minutes or a few hours, it starts to behave very erratically. Screen gestures invoke the wrong commands, button touches activate something on another area of the screen, etc. I often can't even shut it down to reboot because the swipe for "off" slider won't take the gesture.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? I'm going to restore and re-jb this weekend to see if that helps, and I'll only reinstall those apps/themes that I actually use.

Thanks!

2. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

you ever try restoring ? if not then do so .. if that doesnt work call apple or take it to an apple store for replacement .. also you can do a hard reset if you cant manually shut it off... you do this by holding the home and power button till you see the apple logo

3. scirica thread starter macrumors 68020

scirica

Thanks. I am able to restore and will do so as a last resort. In the meantime, I've uninstalled Springboard Expose (theme) and Orbit, which I suspect may be the culprits. Over two hours now and no further "craziness". When I have some downtime this weekend I'll probably do a restore and re-jailbreak.

Anyone else have issues with "Orbit"?

4. st1ngo macrumors member

If you insist on jailbreaking the phone and then fill it with all kinds of crap you can hardly be surprised when it starts misbehaving

5. scirica thread starter macrumors 68020

scirica

Thanks newbie, that's very informative. I realize there are risks to jailbreaking, but the additional functionality far outweighs those risks. I'm looking to the forum to see if there is any insight into what I am currently experiencing. So far it looks like the removal of Orbit and Springboard Expose has solved the issue, but I need to give it a couple more days to feel confident that I've found the culprit.

And yes, I insist on jailbreaking. For you, probably not a good idea ;)

6. pw1500 macrumors regular

pw1500

Yea I have this same problem from time to time, a simple respring always seems to do the trick. If you find a solid solution keep me posted ;)