Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I didn't see any mention but you will be charged $199+TAX for a refurbished iPhone. Sorry this happened. What were the results of rice for a week?

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
well, now that you have had this for quite a while now, its probably dry, but i can help u get it fixed. completely dry it, put it in rice, use a fan, use a hair drier whatever until u know its completely dry. then take a TINY, tiny piece of a tissue, or u can use toilet paper, make it into a square just about the size of the head phone jack, rest it on top of the jack, and plug the head phones in with that in there. now make sure to get it UNDER the brass clips that connect the headphone. now what apple does is take a quick look at the jack, and then says what to do. they will probably diagnose it as a battery failure, and will give u a refurb. good luck!

...or the Genius turns the phone upside down and the tiny piece of tissue paper/toilet paper falls out onto the counter. So he calls his supervisor...and a few colleages...and by now a few customers are gathering to find out what's going on...and the tape from the security cameras finds its way onto YouTube labelled as "Attempted iPhone Fraud - massive FAIL". On the other hand, it might just work...

WashMachineMec

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Open it up and let it dry

Allright,
For all you folks who drop their Palm, iPhone, or whatever device in the bath, or toilet. Or put it in the washing machine, this is what you should do:
- Do not plug it in
- Do not try to start it

Get yourself a nice tiny screwdriver, open up your iPhone (ref Youtube if you are not sure on how to do that)

Once opened: leave it to dry. I'd say, at least 3 days in a dry place (you might have good results within a few hours, depending on the % moisture in the air and airflow, but you don't want to take any chances with your precious 700$ toy now do you?)

Then, screw everything back together and plug it in! In 80% of the cases your iPhone will do just fine!

Good luck!:apple:

david2112

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
how sad

I have used many forums before but this thread is a first i can't believe a poor bloke has come on here to ask for help and how many of you have taken it has a opportunity to ridicule him this not healthy guys and i hope not the average mind set of apple users

nikkimayer

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Water Damage Solution...

This is more for future reference nut in the future there IS insurance that covers theft, loss and damage of any kind...

For current issue w/o insurance:
1) remove sim card
2) Do not attempt to turn on your phone
3) Do not plug it in
4) obtain a tine screwdriver and open (optional)
5) Sit unit in a bowl of rice for 72 hours

* Once 72 hours has lapsed put unit back together, plug in and attempt to turn on . You may be surprised that this works in several cases.

**If you must purchase a new phone BUY INSURANCE!!! Apple warranties do not cover theft or water damage but additional insurance does. Its through ASURION., an independent carrier. It must be purchase within 30 days of owning your new phone so don't delay...

Good luck. :)

NorthernA

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Who gives a ****

If you can get a free iphone out of them then get a free iphone. I've just done the same thing and I'm trying to dry it out in a bag of rice, if that doesn't work it's insured but I'm not happy about paying a £50 excess so I'm gonna try and blag a free one from the Apple shop. Apple make billions from us, **** them. For all those saying it's theft, you think Apple's cares about morals? The people working in their Chinese factories are killing themselves en masse and Apple couldn't give two ****s.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
This happened to my wife yesterday. She inadvertently threw her jeans in the washer with her 4S in the pocket. It went through a full cycle. I had her put it in rice but also called a buddy who owns a chain of cell phone stores and he said the rice thing is BS.

Here's what he told me to do. Pull the SIM card and tray. Get a baking sheet, place a sheet of parchment paper on the baking sheet then put the phone on it (note, works for other devices too but if battery is removable pull it too) and place on the middle rack of an oven preheated to 175 F for 90 minutes. It dries everything much faster which is important. Allow it to cool before trying to power up.

We did this yesterday. It rebooted a few times but did finally power up. There was evidence of moisture behind the glass and the microphone did not work so we repeated the procedure again. No more visible moisture behind glass but microphone still not working. Leaving it for a while to see if it comes back or not. Everything else works. Speaker, touch screen, etc. at the moment it is effectively an iPod Touch.

In our case she is already eligible for full upgrade with our carrier anyway so replacing is not that big a deal but she had planned on waiting for the next model to come out later this year before upgrading. Worst case we still have her 3S and will reactivate it until the new ones are out.

Anyway, thought I would share this baking process tip. It may save somebody else.

Arbish

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
Help

My iphone 4s fell in washing machine and i saw it after 10-15 min i tried to dry it it was nt running i plugged jt wd charger for 1-2 sec how can i recover it plz help

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My iphone 4s fell in washing machine and i saw it after 10-15 min i tried to dry it it was nt running i plugged jt wd charger for 1-2 sec how can i recover it plz help

First off, don't turn it on. If its on, turn it off. Put it in a container sealed with dry rice for several days. To not take it out and do not attempt to turn it on. Doing so will short the electronics inside, so all of the water needs to be pulled out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.