Resolved Help! iPhone won't turn on.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhazonUK, Apr 3, 2011.

1. PhazonUK, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Got this iPhone 4 as a replacement a week ago and it's been acting strange. It keeps restarting itself, rearranging my apps, and turning itself off. All the other times it turns itself off it would turn back on just fine.
    However, this morning I woke up and it was off...but it won't turn back on. I'm planning on returning it to Apple sometime next week, but I still need my phone to work until then.
    Can anyone help? iTunes doesn't even recognise it.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Call your local apple store and make an appointment with an apple genius. Sounds like your phone bit the big one.

3. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Try holding both buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds.

4. Haxx macrumors newbie

Another thing to try is to press and hold both buttons (home key and power key) as you connect iPhone to iTunes. If this gets the phone to turn on, restore as brand new, see if that helps.

Apple will not replace a handset unless you have

a) latest software version installed and / or
    b) tried a restore as brand new (NOT from backup)

This is in the UK, not sure about elsewhere :)

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

That's one too many problems for me to deal with it... I'd take it back.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

VERY sorry to hear this. If these people's suggestions do not work, you got some real hardware problems and replacement is your only option.

Good and luck and keep us posted!

7. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Phone finally sprung into life after being on charge for about 2 hours, but in recovery mode. Tried TinyUmbrella to see if I could kick it out of recovery mode, and it worked!
    So phone is back to normal for now. But I still plan on taking it back to Apple, I'm not keeping a phone that could turn itself of any time it feels like it.

It seems to be text messages that mess it up. It has restarted two times before when I've received a text message. And after turning it off I saw that I had 1 unread message that I got at 10am...so I can only assume that text message killed it :confused:

8. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

and you're absolutely sure it's jailbroken properly and not just a problem you may have caused yourself?

might consider a restore to see if the fixes your issues before trying to take it back.