HELP !! iPhoto Acting Wierd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dkspiers, Jun 5, 2009.

1. dkspiers macrumors newbie

iPhoto on my daughter's mac got deleted somehow when she came home from college. We reinstalled the app from the install CDs that came with her notebook, but now when we open iPhoto, the screen just sits there with the message "Loading Photos" or something like that. We have to shut the notebook down to get it to stop. None of the menus are available nor is right clicking anywhere

We can find and open the pics from the Finder but can't open the app....

HELP !!!!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Open iPhoto with the Command and Option keys held down. A window will appear that will give you the options of Rebuilding the iPhoto Library and several other things. Go ahead and check all of the options, click ok, and do something else for the next 15 minutes to an hour (depending on how many photos you have, could be quicker if it's a small library). It's likely the database simply got corrupted, and this should fix it up. Post back if that doesn't work.

jW

3. dkspiers thread starter macrumors newbie

Mal -

Thanks, but it did not work. I did get the window you talked about where I selected all the options, but after kicking it off, it just ran and never did anything. Again I have to restart to clear it. I tried it several times, even only selecting to rebuild the database, but it still does not open.

I'm obviously not a Mac guy yet, but on a Windows box, I'd be told to uninstall and then reinstall... is there a comparable strategy on macs?

4. Krikke68 macrumors newbie

Did you already update iPhoto to it's latest version? Launch Software Update (you find it under the :apple: menu) and install any iPhoto updates if they show up.
    I'm just thinking that the last version of iPhoto that was installed on your daughters MacBook created an iPhoto database in a newer format than the one that's supported by the older version of iPhoto that's currently installed.
    I cannot guarantee that this will solve the issue, but you can try it.

5. GraphicRhino macrumors newbie

6. dkspiers thread starter macrumors newbie

Well... thanks for the suggestions but its still hosed. I may need to take it to the Apple Store and let the Genius' look at it... unless someone else has an idea.:confused: