Help! Iphoto disappeared on new MBP running Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by avincent52, Nov 29, 2007.

1. avincent52 macrumors regular

I went to try to load a couple of photos onto my wife's ipod and well, iphoto seems to be gone. Kaput.
    The machine is a new (last week) MBP, with a fresh install of Leopard, with data files moved manually rather than migrated (at the suggestion of a Genius). I've run software update a couple of times since. (Could that be the culprit?)
    Iphoto was there when I got the machine. I remember using it a couple of times and transferred a bundle of my photos from an old iMac. But while there a variety of data folders on the HD, the actual app seems to have disappeared.
    I'm sure there's a simple explanation--and fix-- but this has got me a little worried, as you might imagine.
    thanks in advance
    Allen

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You can do 4 things. First use Spotlight and type "iPhoto" to see if the application was accidentally moved to another location.

Secondly, you can right-click or control-click on any photo or picture and select "Open With" and you will get options to choose which way to view the photo. If iPhoto is not on the list then it was deleted.

Thirdly, check the Trash to see if iPhoto was dropped there.

Lastly, just shove in the original restore disc and select the option to install bundled software and you can reinstall iPhoto.

3. avincent52 thread starter macrumors regular

Dan
    Thanks so much for the advice. I had spotlighted iphoto to no avail, and already checked the trash. Cntrl clicking a photo didn't help.
    I'll re-load iphoto, but my real question is what on earth could have happened to this whole application.
    I haven't emptied the trash since I've owned the computer so I really don't understand how it disappeared.
    Theories?
    allen

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

iPhoto as well as all the iLife programs do not come with Leopard -- they are separate. If you installed Leopard on a machine that came with Tiger, that could be the problem. Did you use a separate Leopard installation disk and do a full erase and install?

5. avincent52 thread starter macrumors regular

Leopard ate my Iphoto; Can the Tiger give it back?

Sky
    That's almost certainly what happened. I (or more accurately the guy at the Genius Bar) did a clean install of Leopard and that's probably when iphoto went missing.
    Here's my question: Is there a way I can download only IPhoto and Garage Band from the Tiger setup discs that came with the computer without messing up the Leopard install?

And will these earlier versions run happily on Leopard or should I just grumble and pay the $79 for iLife 08?

Thanks so much for the CSI. I'll sleep much better knowing why that software disappeared.

best
    Allen

6. Roric macrumors regular

You should be able to install them, but I wouldn't do that or buy the upgrade if I were you. I would take the machine back to the "genius" who decided that it wasn't important to reinstall the licensed software after doing a wipe and install.

I work tech support at a college and one of the biggest problems I am running into right now is determining how to upgrade the 200+ macs we have (not in labs) efficiently without losing the existing applications. The cleanest way is to wipe and reimage them, but which ones came with iLife 08 and which ones have iLife 06. They are all covered by AMP, so I am good on the OS, it is the other apps that are creating the problem.

The point I am trying to make is that the tech that did your installation should have noted the existing software and at least offered to reinstall the existing Apple apps. Especially since the MBP came with them initially and he cannot assume the customer knows which apps came bundled and which apps are included in the OS.

7. avincent52 thread starter macrumors regular

Roric
    Thanks for the input. FWIW, while this Genius did drop the ball a bit on Iphoto, he did spend like three hours with me getting my MBP working again after a botched migration. (The program got stalled over a recently deleted test account and I hit retry instead of skip and it recloned my whole machine.)

When I called applecare, the techs couldn't understand the problem--a whole machine full of duplicate data that couldn't be accessed--much less how to fix it. I spent a good three hours on the phone with them and wasn't one second closer to getting my brand new machine working properly.

The Genius walked me through the reinstall, but during the middle of it he went to lunch and told me how to transfer data manually. It's true that he might have told me that iphoto had been erased along with Tiger before he left, but he didn't.

That said, I walked into the store very frustrated with an expensive machine and a minor data disaster. I walked out with a working computer and a smile on my face, as did the guy next to me who managed to get the data off his G4 Ibook after a new Leopard upgrade went south on him.

Color me largely satisfied (it took me two weeks to even notice iphoto was missing) and grateful if you or someone can tell me what I need to do to get
    these apps off my Tiger discs without accidentally overwriting my whole Tiger OS or something (given Leopard's current stability or lack thereof, not an entirely unenticing thought, but I digress.)

The Simple Question: How do I get iTunes O6 and Garage Band off the startup discs that came with my MBP and installed onto my now-Leopard-upgraded machine?

best
    Allen

8. eleanorrigby macrumors newbie

Put the Tiger CD that came with the MBP into the machine and click "Install Bundled Software Only". Select the programs you want and Bob is your long lost uncle. At least, that's how I did it...

9. avincent52 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much everyone.
    I installed the bundled software with a little trepidation--despite the custom install option, it's really an all-or-nothing situation.
    However, the good news is twofold. The install software recognized that itunes was already installed and didn't install it a second time.
    And what came bundled with the MBP was Ilife 08 (plus an Aperature trial) so I'm good to go.
    thanks again, and I hope this helps someone with a similar problem
    Allen