Help! iPhoto no longer shows image thumbnails

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by valiant66, Dec 30, 2012.

1. valiant66 macrumors newbie

I'm using iPhoto '09 v8.1.2 under Mac Lion OS v10.7.5 on a Mac Pro 1,1. I recently upgraded to a new hard drive, and nearly everything transferred over just fine, but iPhoto is not working correctly.

I get no thumbnails in the grid view, which pretty much breaks the app for me.

I have tried Apple's recommended fix of launching iPhoto with Cmd-Opt held down, which brings up the rebuild thumbnails dialog box:

[​IMG]

I've done this a few times, but it does not fix the problem.

I can't navigate my iPhoto library without the tumbnails, and it's already messing things up for me. I make heavy use of Keywords and Names (which is why I haven't upgraded to a newer iPhoto) but they're useless if I can't see previews of the images when I search or try to manage my library.

Does anyone have any ideas to get preview thumbnails working again?

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I'm not quite sure why you would rebuild the thumbnails multiple times expecting different results. If it is not an issue with the thumbnails, although that seems to be the apparent symptom, you should be moving onto the examine and repair the iPhoto Library file permissions choice.

If this doesn't work, the next best thing would be to restore the entire library from a Time Machine or other backup. If you do not have one or that still doesn't solve it, a manual rebuild will be in order, but know that it will mess up the organization (keywords, Albums/folders, even Events) you have implemented as well as trash any print projects you have created.

To manually rebuild the library, you first have to create a new one by holding just the option key when launching iPhoto. Choose the option to create a new library and save it in ~/Pictures. Then go to ~/Pictures and right/secondary click the iPhoto library package and choose Show Package Contents. In the resulting window, take the Modified and Originals folders (the former contains any edits you have made within iPhoto, do just Originals if you aren't concerned about keeping these) and drag both into the iPhoto window or to the Dock icon. After the reimport you should have all the images accessible, but possibly with some duplicates if you import both folders. If there is nothing else to bring back into iPhoto, delete the original library.