Help iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guklein, Dec 20, 2008.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

Hello,

When I edit an image in my iPhoto library, this image it will be also changed automaticaly in my folder (pictures) - finder?

And if I delete it in iPhoto library?

Thank you.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The new image will be stored as well as the unaltered original. It is highly inadvisable to mess with your iPhoto library.

3. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Let me see if I understood...

It is recommended to keep separated iPhoto library and imagens in the folder, right?

Thank you.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

iPhoto will automatically keep all the unaltered original copies of the photos in your library. If you change a photo within iPhoto, it will keep the altered version too. If you change it outside iPhoto, you can keep it wherever you want, but all the original versions in your iPhoto library will stay where they are, within iPhoto, in a folder called "Originals".

5. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

And about space in HD...it is doubled?

Where I can find this folder "Originals" in iPhoto?

Thank you.

7. skybolt macrumors 6502a

If you keep your photos in iPhoto AND in a separate folder in finder, then yes, you use twice as much space. Just import then and keep them in iPhoto and you will be fine.

The Originals are in their own special place in your iPhoto library. Users are not meant to go there -- corruption will ensue. If you want the original, in the iPhoto app, choose "Revert to Original" in one of the menubar dropdowns (I'm not at the mac right now, so can't be sure, but it is probably under "Photo"). If you want to save your edits, then duplicate the photo before you "revert".

8. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Yes iPhoto does always keep a copy of the original as well as the current version you have created with edits. Even reducing red eye will create a new duplicate.

So if you edit all of your photos even slightly then the iPhoto library will double in size. It is the price you pay to be able to always go back to the original if required. This is often required so do not delete the originals!

Aperture on the other hand only keeps the original photos and a list of edits so can have a smaller library file size. But costs mucho $

Hope that is clear.