Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Today I was lookin around the options for the iPod, and decided to use the auto update on the playlists. I usually manually update everything. So clicked on that option and all my songs except those on the playlist weren't on my iPod, and I couldn't click on any of the songs. So I was like OK, I went back to manual, and decided to delete everything and just put in all my songs again. So I left it running and went to the mall, and when I got back it was stuck on one song. It just stayin there so I tried ejecting. Nothing happened, now my iTunes won't quit, and I can't eject my iPod... What should I do. The iPod is gettin' really hot. Help!

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
SamIchi said:
Today I was lookin around the options for the iPod, and decided to use the auto update on the playlists. I usually manually update everything. So clicked on that option and all my songs except those on the playlist weren't on my iPod, and I couldn't click on any of the songs. So I was like OK, I went back to manual, and decided to delete everything and just put in all my songs again. So I left it running and went to the mall, and when I got back it was stuck on one song. It just stayin there so I tried ejecting. Nothing happened, now my iTunes won't quit, and I can't eject my iPod... What should I do. The iPod is gettin' really hot. Help!

HELP! I'm the third person today that couldn't spell iPod correctly in my title! No capital "i" people. Unplug your iPod and restart your computer.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
joecool85 said:
HELP! I'm the third person today that couldn't spell iPod correctly in my title! No capital "i" people. Unplug your iPod and restart your computer.
Hey I'm sorry, it was only in the title... see in my post I got it right.

I restarted my computer, and disconnected. Now I'm updating all my songs, hopefully it won't freeze this time. I still wanna know why it deleted all my songs after I clicked the "auto update on playlist only" option. Shouldn't it just update my playlists, and still let me manually update my library?

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Damn it froze again.. and the time stops on my computer... What's goin' on?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Backup your data (if necessary) from the iPod and run the Restore Utility. If you don't know already, it's in the iPod Updater program, which should be in your utilities folder.

That should take care of most any problem. If not, call Apple, there's something more wrong with it.

jW

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
skywalker said:
Backup your data (if necessary) from the iPod and run the Restore Utility. If you don't know already, it's in the iPod Updater program, which should be in your utilities folder.

That should take care of most any problem. If not, call Apple, there's something more wrong with it.

jW

I restored it, and started update playlist again, but it just freezes after a while... HMm... I'll try a little at a time instead of copyin' the whole library...

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Switzermac said:
try running ipod updater on it

I did run iPod updater... and restored it several times now... It just keeps freezing. :confused: I don't know what's wrong w/ it. I've tried puttin' songs on it in smaller batches but that didn't work either. What should I do guys.

soholounge

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2005
same freeze problem

i'm having this same problem.
anybody got any info on it?
i searched the apple site and no dice.

i've disconnected the ipod, rebooted, restored, reformatted, restored again, and everytime, it freezes during the update of songs.

btw, this is while i'm updating a lot of songs, i think the original poster was doing the same thing when he/she had this problem?

is the ipod not able to handle large updates with lots of songs at once?

thanks in advance, for any info.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Is it giving you an (-36) error? I had a similar problem where it would load some songs fine, but some would cause it to stall and just sit there. Then I would get a (-36) error. I looked it up and this is a i/o problem. My mini was connected through firewire at the time, so I switched to USB and now everything is normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.