Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phillipsmail2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
i was updating my ipod to 3.1.1 in the middle of updating my ipod and itunes froze and shutdown btw i'm running windows. i restarted and and it tried to restore my ipod and in the middle it said that it encountered a unknown error (1603) any suggestions other than get a new one?

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
i was updating my ipod to 3.1.1 in the middle of updating my ipod and itunes froze and shutdown btw i'm running windows. i restarted and and it tried to restore my ipod and in the middle it said that it encountered a unknown error (1603) any suggestions other than get a new one?

Have you tried restoring it from the ipod itself?

petamartt

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
help

helo, sorry this is so long but please read it.

i have an ipod touch 1g 16gb. a while ago i accidently restored it with iphone firmware. it still worked though. after that by about a week i put it into recovery by holding down the home and plugging it in. at that time i was running itunes 8.2. when itunes opened up it said"itunes has found an iphone in recovery mode you must restore before it can be used". ye itunes was now recognising it as an iphone. i then went on and tried putting it in dfu. i had ziphone opened up and it told me that i had correctly put the iphone in recovery and that i needed to just restore with the firmware in itunes. now that i was in dfu i opened up itunes again. it said the same thing. "itunes has found an iphone in recovery mode you must restore before it can be used". so i clicked restore, then a pop up said that the software is not currently available make sure you have the latest version of itunes and try again. at that time i had the latest version of itunes. i then tried shift+restore and selected the 2.2.1 ipod 1g firmware. it then said the firmware file is not compatible. so i then downloaded 5 or six different firmwares and tried them all. the same thing happened, itunes said the firmware file is not compatible.

i then downgraded to itunes 7.8 i think it was. i plugged the ipod in and itunes opened up and said itunes has found an ipod in recovery you must restore it before it can be used. i was starting to get happy itunes now recognised it as an ipod. so i pushed restore but it gave me error 1619. i then tried the dfu mode and had ziphone open to make sure i got in correctly, itunes then opened up and said, itunes has found an ipod in recovery and to restore to use it. i then pushed restore and itunes popped up and said the ipod could not be restored unknown error occured error 2001. i was now really confused.

i then down graded to itunes 7.5. it also recognised my ipod as an ipod. it said itunes has discovered an ipod in recovery you must restore to use. i then tried the dfu procedure and the the pop up came again itunes as discovered an ipod in recovery you must restore to use. i then clicked restore and it said the software is not currently available make sure you have the latest version. i then clicked shift+restore and it now said the ipod could not be restored an unknown error occured error 1.

by this time itunes 9.0 was released. i upgraded to it, and it gave me the exact same messages as itune 8.2

so if anyone has any idea what i can do or any idea what the errors mean could you please help me i would appreciate it. thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.