HELP! iPod Touch emergency!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by prmccarron, Jan 17, 2010.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

***READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE REPLYING - I DON'T WANT STUPID RESPONSES/QUESTIONS I ANSWER HERE!!!***

Okay, well I know a good amount about computers (for my age) so my brother asked me to jailbreak his iPod. I tried blackra1n, but didn't like the fact that you had to make it rain and restore it after every reboot, so I went to PWNage tool (3.1.4) and used that to make the custom ipsw. It made it, but whenever I tried to restore to it it gave me error 1604. I tried every iTunes version I could, meaning I had to rename the library "iTunes Library.old" as otherwise I couldn't open iTunes at all. Eventually I just gave up and went back to iTunes 9. However, it for some reason doesn't recognize the Library OR iPod backup file, so it keeps wanting me to start a new iPod/Library. My brother will KILL me if he finds out I accidentally erased his iPod. Is there anyway I can fix this?
    I will post all the files I can.
    PLEASE don't post stupid responses like "haha your brother is gonna KILL you!"
    ***IF THE iTUNES LIBRARY FILE IS NEEDED, POST OR PM ME YOUR EMAIL BECAUSE IT IS NOT A "VALID FILE EXTENSION" ON HERE!***

*****THIS PROBLEM IS FIXED - I HAD TO RECREATE HIS iTUNES LIBRARY (thankfully the music files were still where they belonged)*****

Attached Files:

2. pnt101 macrumors member

pnt101

if your ipod is a 3G then you will always have to run your jailbreak again whenver you turn it off so i reccomend using blackra1n cuz its only 1 click away and only like 1 minuet to redow the jailbreak. as for the restore, whenever it says restore dont restore just rune the jailbreak again, you wont loose anything. its just apple trying to get rid of your jailbreak. as for your problem just restore and run blackra1n. easy as that lol

3. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

1. No it's a 2G like mine.
    2. At this point I really don't care about the jailbreak - I'll just tell him it didn't work
    3. All of my files are gone from the iTunes library - they still exist in the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Songs folder.
    4. I called Apple and due to the old age of my Mac they can't help me for under $49.
    5. I really want to know if there is some backup file?

4. pnt101 macrumors member

pnt101

try system restore, it should bring back the files you lost.

5. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

First step would be to un-rename your Library file—change it back to what it was, and make sure it's in your Music:iTunes folder. If iTunes still doesn't recognize it, try just double-clicking the file in the Finder, and hopefully iTunes will still read it.

If none of this works and you don't have a backup of the file, your music isn't lost. Just go into iTunes and choose iTunes: Preferences, then click the Advanced icon. Make sure that "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" is NOT checked (if it is checked, you'll end up with duplicate copies of everything!). Then go to your Music: iTunes folder in the Finder. What you want to do is drag your iTunes Music folder into the iTunes window. It should automatically re-add all your songs to your library, but you'll have to reconstruct your playlists.

And if you have a 2G Touch, then blackra1n won't result in a tethered jailbreak (where you have to re-blackra1n at every reboot). It's only with the 3G Touch where this happens. So once you're all sorted out, just use blackra1n and enjoy :)

6. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

there is no system restore on a mac. u need time machine to do a restore. its a more secure way then actually storing the backup files on the computer.

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

and yes your brother has a 3g. turn on the device, plug it into your computer, quit itunes. hold the power button until the screen turns off, then immediately after it turns off, count 5 seconds then hold the power and home button for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power but keep holding the home button for 10 more seconds. if itunes pops up saying it detected an ipod in recovery mode, and there is no backlight on ur ipod, then your good. you've reached dfu mode, and now u can restore and jailbreak with blackra1n. after u get to recovery mode when u try to turn it on, just rerun blackra1n. you have a tethered jailbreak. this cannot be fixed yet and geohot is releasing an untethered jailbreak for the ipod touch 3g after the 3.1.3 software update. you will have to rerun blackra1n every time u restart your ipod.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

putting it in dfu is probably your best bet. if your bro's ipod is a 3g then he'll have to rejailbreak it. so its either rerun jailbreak or not have it jailbroken. goodluck.

9. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

I'm using a Mac w/o Time Machine.

10. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

This won't fix his iTunes library.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You sure know a lot about computers for your age. *sarcasm*

He means restoring the iPod back to factory default settings.

Attached Files:

12. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

The guy said system restore, not restore from iTunes.

13. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Congrats, on getting it fixed. Next time, if you don't know how to do it, don't do it for someone else. Doing this will get you in trouble.

14. wintergoat macrumors newbie

Re-Jailbreak

I suggest that you re-jailbreak your ipod touch with final sn0w, as it is untethered and works easily on Mac. I can email you the files if you want.

15. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

* The problem the OP was having trouble with was the iTunes library
    * OP already fixed the problem
    * If he had a tethered jailbreak with blackra1n, it would still be tethered with redsn0w.

16. wintergoat macrumors newbie

It's not redsn0w, it.s called final sn0w, its made by a completely different company.

17. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

My mistake. But it still couldn't do an untethered jailbreak on any device where blackra1n couldn't. This is why Pwnage Tool didn't work for the OP.

18. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Why don't you **** before I report you?
    BTW just cuz I don't know about iPod or iTunes much doesn't mean I don't know much about computers, and how would you know how old I am?

19. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

People I'm sure it's 2G, iTunes says so.

20. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

I would say yes, but last time I tried final sn0w (it's been a while since I posted this; his iPod is fixed and I'm trying to jailbreak mine now) it didn't work... tut would be cool :)