Help! iPod Touch Screen Issue... Again.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chrisdazzo, Dec 29, 2007.

1. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

So, I just recently returned my week 38 16GB iPod Touch to my local Apple retail store because it had a good many dead pixels, and they happily and quickly replaced it with a "new" one. The thing is, I think the problem started there, as this particular iPod Touch was made in a different factory (thus a serial starting with "9E" as opposed to my old one, which started with "9C"). Though, the 6 week time difference in manufacturing periods could also mean a lot. I'm not sure, but either way, to the point.

The real issue at hand here is the screen. From the moment I turned the screen on (I began at home; I didn't think to turn it on beforehand, derk), I realized that I may have received another defective iPod Touch. I think this because the screen shows – no matter how many times I hard reset or restore the iPod firmware – vertical green/grey lines all over the screen. Strangely enough, when I play videos on YouTube, the lines go away, but return upon bringing up the movie controls. I've left the screen on for several hours now, thinking maybe that it had to "warm up", but still I see lines! I have tried everything I can think of to try and resolve this problem, but have yet to see the lines disappear.

Has anyone else had a problem with this, and if so, what did you do?

I'm just thinking of returning it to the Apple store for yet another one, but I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to save myself a trip to the mall. Thanks. :(

2. MishoM macrumors newbie

Just return and complain, maybe they'll give you something free. :p

But really, just return it for a new one. You'll be much happier with a working iPod Touch, and I really doubt you'd get a defective one three times in a row. Also, open it up at the food court in your mall just to be sure. :)

3. chrisdazzo thread starter macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

Success!

And so through horrendous traffic, crowds, and a nice short line at the Apple Store, I was able to get my iPod Touch replaced. It was amazing, I actually got one that was manufactured just this week! The serial number starts with "9E748" which means it was made in 2007, this week, according to this.

I'm happy, and this time I brought my blackbook to check everything. It synced perfectly, all my movies looked fine, and there were no vertical lines or dead pixels to be seen! I commend all the associates at the Apple Store I visited for being so patient and understanding of my situation. :D A word of advice to those buying iPods in-store: check before you leave. It'll save you a lot of trouble.

4. delude macrumors 6502

Its nice to see you finally have a decent one that works. I bought my 16gb off ebay, and the serial starts '1A745'. I haven't got a clue about the first two characters of the serial, but the screen seems to be perfect.