HELP! iPod with possible water damage!?!?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MaddieBrad, Feb 3, 2008.

1. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

So,
    I was at a bar in this private room for a friends birthday party. They had this hookup where you could plug an ipod in and play DJ. So I felt obliged to jump "on the decks". I had my ipod sitting on this table next to the system and some crazy chick... seriously.... really drunk... and also... Did I mention she was a bit mad?... Came by and picked up a full glass of Gin and Tonic, (mine I might add), and hurled it against the wall next to where I was sitting. The liquid came falling down upon my ipod, (and myself). Firstly I freaked out on her and kicked her out of the room, and then secondly I cleaned off my ipod right away. The ipod was inside a silicone case that covered everything BUT the click wheel and the screen. It didn't seem like the ipod itself got very wet so I didnt think anything of it at the time.

Next morning I wake up, grab my freshly charge ipod, and head out the door to work. I get about half way through the album "Grace" by Jeff Buckley and the battery dies. I am like... WTF! So I think... Well maybe I didn't plug it in all the way. SO I charge it again... Same thing... gets through about 5 songs and dies. Now... same thing happens if I charge it and put the hold button on and leave it. It loses all the charge while in the off position as well.

I can't imagine that this ipod got any liquid damage as the amount of liquid that actually touched it was minimal. Or did it? Could this just be a coincidence?? Is this a known problem? Could liquid damage cause this?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Brad

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

You need to remember, it's not just water that got into your iPod, it's alcohol. The sugars in alcohol does a lovely job of corroding circuit boards.

Only a very tiny amount had to get inside via the click wheel to muck things up.

I recommend taking it apart and cleaning as much as you can, ASAP. Use rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip™. What's the worst that can happen, right?

iFixit has some pretty good guides to opening an iPod:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod/

PS: What kind of iPod is it?
    PPS: Sorry if I sounded a little hopeless for your situation, I just woke up. I wish you the best.

3. Graphic-Steveo macrumors newbie

successfull ipod Touch recovery

Hi.. i dont know if im the first.. but im the first that IVE seen to recover successfully (ofcourse thats all the kind of recover there is)My 8g Ipod touch from being dropped in the toilet. Now it is true depending on what liquid, what is in the water chlorine or bromine,or alcohal or sugur.. is in the ipod but mine was just clean water the toilet had been flushed,,, i was just finishing taking a No2 and my arm caught the headphone wire and pulled it off the toilet paper dispenser in my dorm and fell in the water... I WAS Pissed. i had a silicone case wich may have helped it some but it still stopped working soon after.. i first put it next to a heater
    hour later it worked but had water makes inside the screen... i put it back in.... tryed it again... it was done... no battery powre nothing... so i was mad. I took it home for the weekend back to my house. began to research online different things on what people have done... people had dif ideas but none had worked.. so i started thinking.. my dad also suggested that i take it aprt and check the boards. so i did... i got the diagram on http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod/iPod-Touch/130
    it will show you how to take it apart. this is for the Touch ofcourse the other ipod charts are on that site also. just go search a bit.
    if you dont feel comfortable doing it your self you sould take it to a tech and see if they cant open it up for ya , no matter how you open it up i used a spatula and a small nail or brad pryer. they show you how to unplug every thing i suggest after u unplug every thing take a tooth brush and scrub every thing.. obviously you dont want any water on the toothbrush make sure its dry.. but scrub every inch of the bord at first i dint see any thing wrong but i looked harder and i saw some corrosion. but no matter u may not see the corrosion directly but once u srub ever thing ull find your toothbrush has been darked a dark color probably green i dint really examine the color. but none the less scrub every thing... the charg port, your head phone port, Even your Wifi antenna, evert thing that plugs in and every part exposed that could have gotten wet. after you scrub and scrub follow the directions on how you took it apart to put it back together again... I would NOT reccomend using a magnetic screwdriver. A eyeglass screwdriver will pobably work. the screws are very tiny so i suggest using a white sheet of paper to work on.. but once uve plugged every thing put back where it was and snapped together put it on the charger and just let it charge.. ull want to fiddle but i would just let it be until morning IF you are successfull your ipod will be fully charged and u will want to restore it beacuse programs may have been distorted or parts of them may have been lost do to the short. well thats all i can think of for now if u have any questions i think my screen name is at the bottom so if im online IM me and ill help you if i can Good luck!!!

4. Graphic-Steveo macrumors newbie

successfull ipod Touch recovery

Hi.. i dont know if im the first.. but im the first that IVE seen to recover successfully (ofcourse thats all the kind of recover there is)My 8g Ipod touch from being dropped in the toilet. Now it is true depending on what liquid, what is in the water chlorine or bromine,or alcohal or sugur.. is in the ipod but mine was just clean water the toilet had been flushed,,, i was just finishing taking a No2 and my arm caught the headphone wire and pulled it off the toilet paper dispenser in my dorm and fell in the water... I WAS Pissed. i had a silicone case wich may have helped it some but it still stopped working soon after.. i first put it next to a heater
    hour later it worked but had water makes inside the screen... i put it back in.... tryed it again... it was done... no battery powre nothing... so i was mad. I took it home for the weekend back to my house. began to research online different things on what people have done... people had dif ideas but none had worked.. so i started thinking.. my dad also suggested that i take it aprt and check the boards. so i did... i got the diagram on http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod/iPod-Touch/130
    it will show you how to take it apart. this is for the Touch ofcourse the other ipod charts are on that site also. just go search a bit.
    if you dont feel comfortable doing it your self you sould take it to a tech and see if they cant open it up for ya , no matter how you open it up i used a spatula and a small nail or brad pryer. they show you how to unplug every thing i suggest after u unplug every thing take a tooth brush and scrub every thing.. obviously you dont want any water on the toothbrush make sure its dry.. but scrub every inch of the bord at first i dint see any thing wrong but i looked harder and i saw some corrosion. but no matter u may not see the corrosion directly but once u srub ever thing ull find your toothbrush has been darked a dark color probably green i dint really examine the color. but none the less scrub every thing... the charg port, your head phone port, Even your Wifi antenna, evert thing that plugs in and every part exposed that could have gotten wet. after you scrub and scrub follow the directions on how you took it apart to put it back together again... I would NOT reccomend using a magnetic screwdriver. A eyeglass screwdriver will pobably work. the screws are very tiny so i suggest using a white sheet of paper to work on.. but once uve plugged every thing put back where it was and snapped together put it on the charger and just let it charge.. ull want to fiddle but i would just let it be until morning IF you are successfull your ipod will be fully charged and u will want to restore it beacuse programs may have been distorted or parts of them may have been lost do to the short. well thats all i can think of for now if u have any questions i think my screen name is at the bottom so if im online IM me and ill help you if i can Good luck!!!