Help, is Airport Express faster than A.Extreme?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neda, Dec 2, 2007.

1. neda macrumors member

I have an Airport Express, my home has Powerbook G4,ibook , and G5 powermac, all with 802.11g cards. I was planning on getting a new Apple base station or X-mas , but now I read on some forums that people claim the express seems to be faster for web and downloads than the Airport extreme, especially with Powerbooks and ibooks.
    Should I get new Airport?

thanks

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Airport Extreme supports 802.11n. It's only going to be faster for you on wireless-n devices. Wireless-g should stay comparable to airport express.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I agree.
    I imagine though that the AExtreme has a bit more range than the Express. I've used both and they both work great.

4. neda thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't a base station be more powerful whether n, or g. , more so than the express?

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Regardless of the name, both are base stations.

Where you place them may have more effect on how much range and speed you get than anything else. However, all else being equal Extreme should theoretically give a bit more throughput and range een with g devices, but in the end the difference may be negligible.

I like Express because of AirTunes capability.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

my n router gave me greater range over my pre-n router, both airport base stations, even with non-n wireless products.

7. neda thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone but I think I'm going to wait, I see many are having drop off problems with the new Airport.