help! is it a scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mankar4, Jun 9, 2008.

1. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I posted my macbook pro on craigslist, and received this:

sorry for the late mail am out the state presently for a business trip in spain so you will help me to handle the shipping to my son to west africa{23402} who went there for a tour am adding extra $400 to your money to cover your shipping through ups or USPS {EMS} GLOBAL EXPRESS MAIL SERVICE so egt back to me with your paypal account id for the procceding payment
    thanks

reads like a scam, but he wants to use paypal. is paypal scammable? can I receive money only to learn that it is fake?

2. tjmrpm04 macrumors member

Yes it is a scam. I got the exact same message when looking for a home for a dog. Only difference is that in my email they referred to the dog as my "item".

:) But business trip in spain, son in west africa. Yeah all the same. Unless this kid needs a dog and a mbp. :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a phishing scam, intended to steal your PayPal account information. If it uses generic language like "your item" or talks about the sender being "out of town", it's almost 100% guaranteed to be a scam. Also look for gross misspelling and weird capitalization: "ups" instead of "UPS" or "paypal account id" instead of "PayPal account ID".

4. mankar4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I think I might follow up on this and see where it goes. anyone got any ideas on how he'll get my account information?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you're about to give it to him! I wouldn't recommend it, but it's your call.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It'd be best to just ignore it...

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Definitely the skanky Nigerians at work they should spend as much effort at looking for work rather than trying to separate hard working Americans out of their money. Walk away ,FAST;) TRUST ME, it's a Scam!! He want's your PP account to hopefully loot any accounts associated with it.

8. mankar4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mankar4

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Fake money order, with an amount over the purchase price at the last minute -- just send the cash in the box.

Postal Money Orders are the safest, but those have been coming in bogus in increasing number lately.

10. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

It seems I get a reply like this every time I post anything on craigslist. Either ignore it or, for chuckles, write them back saying, "Congratulations! You have just contacted a Federal agent. I'll be seeing you shortly". They never e-mail back after that. :)
    Morod

11. Ansu101 macrumors newbie

Definetely a scam

I got following respond on my ad at www.craigslist.org:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:07 AM, DAMSEL LOVETH <lovethdamsel@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hi, thanks for the prompt mail,i will not be able to pickup the item
    from your place because i am not in the states now i am currently in
    spain for a business trip,so you will help me out by shipping the item
    to my Child directly and i will add $20 to your money to cover the
    shipping fee to my son place in West Africa (23402) through UPS or
    USPS Global Express Mail Service (EMS) get back to me with your PayPal
    email address for the instant payment waiting for your urgent reply.

I did not follow up with my paypal address, but tried to research postage to West Africa (23402) , there is no such place.

BEWARE AND NOTE EMAIL OF SCAMMER!!!

12. RQPS macrumors regular

RQPS

Clearly a scam I would advise not going through with it or even e-mailing them back.

13. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

The best advice is if you have to ask someone if it is a scam, that pretty much means that it is a scam. So trust your instincts, if it doesn't feel right then don't do it.

14. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

16. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Because then we'd see the end of the infinite threads asking whether or not something is a scam. What would we do with all the down time? :)

17. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

If you have to ask whether it is a scam......................................it is:D

18. marksandvig macrumors regular

LAWLS!

No but seriously.. Scam.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Definitely a scam; run a mile in the opposite direction and give absolutely no information whatsoever.

Cheers and good luck

20. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

21. JonMcDonald macrumors member

I got a reply very similar once (oh and btw, it's a scam, don't even waste your time OP) and said, "Oh how lucky, I just landed in *insert country here* for a business trip/vacation. I have this entire week off before my meetings start, and I brought everything! Where should I meet you?".

You can guess that I never got a reply back haha.

22. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

Looks pretty legit. Make sure you start at least two more threads when you let us know how it goes.

23. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

24. stevoeddz macrumors member

pretend to go through with the transaction, get his address, and send him a box with a spring loaded boxing glove in it:p

btw i got offers like this all the time on ebay when i was trying to sell my 1st gen iphone