HELP! Is it possible to buy a iPhone first gen unlocked nowadays!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Jun 30, 2009.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Im kind of a collector. I want to own the first generation iphone just so I can have them all. Is it possible to buy one right now? And ideally is it possible to get one unlocked legitimately? I believe the first generation iphone was sold unlocked in some countries correct? Please help me complete my collection!

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

You can buy my first gen unlocked. Its been sitting in the box since i got my 3GS. Not a single scratch on the back but i slight crack on the front. Yeah its depressing.

3. adr1974 macrumors regular

I had a first gen, which suffered from a screen problem. I had it in a box until a few weeks ago, when I saw a notice from Apple (Apple TS1827 or something) which explained that Apple would replace/repair out-of-warranty iPhones suffering from this problem (so long as they fell within a certain serial # range, which mine did). Bottom line: yesterday Apple gave me a NEW iPhone 2G. I'm pretty sure it is NOT a refurb (1. it doesn't have a scratch on it -- completely mint and 2. the serial # indicates that it was built in June of 2009).

If you're interested, feel free to make an offer. Otherwise I think it's going on eBay. I think it would be fairly tough to find a first gen in this kind of condition.

4. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool, is it unlocked?

5. adr1974 macrumors regular

I picked it up from Apple yesterday, and unlocked it last night.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Refurbs generally look like a brand new device, and also get a brand new serial number that does indeed include the week that it was 'built' in, they don't just throw an old iPhone into a box :p

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

Can you give me more details on the notice? I'm trying to find it.

8. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if the first gen iphone was sold unlocked in any country? I would rather buy a real unlocked iphone than to mess with the jailbreak stuff year after year for the next 10 year

9. adr1974 macrumors regular

OP: I stand corrected. Mine is definitely a refurb (though one in excellent condition). Apologies for misrepresenting -- not my intent.

IvanP -- thanks for the info. Good to know before I put it up on eBay.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Any first-gen you buy can be easily unlocked. Just buy it and do it.

11. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I've got one I'm looking to sell too. Heck, I'll even jailbreak it and unlock it for ya. Like the others, send me an offer if you're interested...

12. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

I love the form factor of the original iPhones, so much better

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If ya give me more than $300, I'll sell you a mint 16GB iPhone First Gen.

Not a scratch on the screen, no dead pixels. The sides (Not the bezel) are scratched though.