Help: is my Macbook dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anaer, Sep 30, 2015.

1. anaer macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I know there's already some similar threads but since my situation is kinda specific and im getting confused, please bear with me.

I have a Macbook 5,5 (mid 2009), some months ago my magsafe pretty much desintegrated and i bought a new one. My battery started giving the "Replace Now" warning since a year ago, more or less. I know i should have bought a new one, but i kept postponing it since i wanted to it myself and also replace the hard drive and a couple more things. So, i've been with a dying battery for some time and yesterday my Mbp went off and wouldnt turn on again. No led sign on the magsafe either. What does this mean?

1. The magsafe is defective. How do i know this? I dont have an extra for testing atm.

2. Something in my Mbp died. Is it the battery? The hard drive? Did it overheat? How do i know this? Do i open it? If so, what should i look for?

3. What's the worst case scenario? At which point is it not worth it replacing things (battery, hard drive, etc)?

Sorry for so many questions but i truly am confused and pretty much in panic, so, if you'd be so kind, please help.

Thanks in advance.
    Ana

2. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

1. You can try to borrow friends / family magsafe to test

2. If the harddrive is dead, if you press the power button it will still boot and play the mac sound and failed to load the OS, if you press the power button and nothing happens it is most likely not the HD

3. The worst things is your logic board dead / fried, and you have to shell out around 200-300 USD to buy a new one. But it depend on where you are.

3. anaer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Im going to try tomorrow with another magsafe.

I have another question though, if you can help me. Is it possible for the battery to die completely so the magsafe light doesnt even turn on? It wouldnt work without a functioning battery, right?

Thank you again.

4. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

The macbook can still work even if you remove the battery and plug in the magsafe. I know because I have an old macbook with removable battery, took the battery out, plug in the magsafe and the mac can boot.

So the magsafe light should turn on even if there is a battery or not.