Help! Is my MacBook Pro distroyed?... lasting gray screen, blue & white screens

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paphlovian, Aug 2, 2012.

1. paphlovian macrumors newbie

Hello! It has been about 6 days now that I used a moist cloth to clean my MacBook Pro (from June '09). I cleaned it while it was off and when I turned it on it booted through the gray apple screen to a blue screen, then a white screen, then my desktop. After seeing this I was afraid I got it wet from cleaning and forced it off. Waiting a bit, and being impatient, I tried again (I know, I know, if you get a laptop wet you're NOT supposed to turn it on...), this time it booted like before but added a scrambled digitized looking screen, then I forced off. I set it up to dry with a fan and left for a day. When I tried again it did the whole blue and white screen thing, but did load to desktop. I left it to dry another day or two... several days later it NOW is just staying on the gray apple load screen indefinitely. There were several times I was able to get it to load completely. I tried disk utility and that did not help. Now, today, it was stuck on that gray screen, finally (maybe 20 minutes later) it went to a white screen. It stayed there for a while longer, I waited to see if it would do anything else but finally forced it off. I am discouraged to see that I might have ruined my FIRST MacBook (or, could this have been a coincidence, timed nicely with the cleaning??), I've taken great care of it (until now), it is completely spotless on the outside and still was working beautifully! I was going to try a full system restore if I don't find any other solutions (thank goodness I have been using time machine and recently did a backup-- side question: any way to recover this on to a PC??). PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks!!

2. Benjamin, macrumors member

Benjamin,

C+P from your TimeMachine HDD to your PC?

One thing you have learnt though. Never use a damp cloth.