Help; issue updating 5s from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by westcoastin, Sep 26, 2014.

1. westcoastin macrumors member

Hi all,

I am attempting to update a Verizon iPhone 5s on 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 but get the message "This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

I downloaded both IPSW for the 5s, including iPhone 6,1 and iPhone 6,2 and learned that my phone corresponds to the iPhone 6,1 build, which confusingly, is actually for the GSM version. When I tried installing the IPSW "iPhone 6,2 7.1.2" holding "opt" and clicking restore, it said "the iPhone could not be updated because the firmware is not compatible." So I then tried the same method, but used IPSW iPhone 6,1 7.1.2, which prompts me with "iTunes will update your phone to 7.1.2 and will verify the update with apple" and the bar on iTunes completes during "extracting software", then goes to "preparing for software update", at which point it gives me the error message "This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

I hope someone who knows what the problem might be could please me help me out. Sorry for the wordy, long-winded post.

Thanks.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

3. westcoastin thread starter macrumors member

Man...they must have stopped signing as I was in the process of attempting to install it because I checked the two websites below and 7.1.2 was still being signed.

https://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/SHSH
    http://api.ineal.me/tss/status

Oh well, thanks.

4. janitor3 macrumors regular

I'm presently running an iPhone 4 on 7.1.2, so does this mean that if I have a problem that requires a restore to fix, I will be left with a "brick", because the 4 can't run iOS 8.??

5. chrfr macrumors 603

No, you'll always be able to restore to the last available OS for your device. Apple still signs 7.1.2 for the iPhone 4, just not for newer devices.