Help: Issues with PowerMac G5 Quad-core

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 17, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone...

So I just purchased a PowerMac G5 Quad-core model. (post about the $60 Quad-core G5). However, I have run into some issues with it.

First off, the computer technically functions just fine and is pretty fast at that. I am able to boot fine and actually USE the computer to its full extent. HOWEVER, there is some issue with the fans... they blast non-stop, starting at power-on as a pretty high hum, lowering a little bit before the login screen, and then going to full blast a few seconds after, not stopping at all.

I have fully cleaned out this computer, so there is nothing clogged with dust or lint. I currently am trying to do a thermal calibration, which I had no issues with on my older PowerMac G5, while for some reason, on this G5, my mouse pointer freezes a few minutes into the calibration. I had let it sit for a considerable amount of time, and it said it was still on the first CPU, "CPU 0". I will continue to try, but I am wondering if this will even fix things.

One thing to mention is that the current installation of Leopard on this machine is from the previous user and is not fresh. Could a fresh install help?

I'd just like to know what the issue is with this thing... It runs perfectly fine, the air baffle is secure and not triggering any red or orange lights, however the fans are all on full-blast. Does anyone know what could be the issue? I took a peek at the LCS and didn't see any leakages, and System Profiler detects all the CPUs. *worried/concerned/frustrated*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n75lEw1N5WE&feature=youtu.be <--- This shows what's wrong.
    -Thanks

2. weckart macrumors 68040

Run an ASD test on your rig. It looks like a sensor issue since the calibration is failing. Perhaps it is failing to monitor temps and is letting the fans run full blast to prevent a Fukushima-type meltdown.

What does Temp Monitor say?

3. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

i know your going to think I'm stupid for asking this, but is the air channel cover on? it most likely is, but it's worth mentioning.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What version of ASD are you using? I believe that only 2.6.3 will work with a Quad.

5. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I didn't have time last night to actually get this thing connected to the internet, but I will do so and download iStat or Temp Monitor. It's weird though because the ASD was freezing. It gradually got worse; first it froze in the middle of the calibration, then when I restarted and booted from the disc again, it ended up freezing before I even started a test or calibration. I am going to try to boot from it and run a test again after school today.

----------

That's the version I am using; for some reason it was having freezing issues.

----------

Yeah, the air baffle is fully secured and the warning lights regarding it do not come on. (all except for the red light that comes on when you boot from the service diagnostic disc).

6. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Okay, so here are the temperature stats with iStat Menus:

This is while the computer is fairly idle in terms of things running on it. As you can see, the CPUs don't show much activity. With this Safari page open, I am getting around 123F on CPU A, with CPU B at 117 (and the other two cores at 86F). Currently, as stated, the fans are blasting.

EDIT: Whilst loading more MacRumors pages, the two main CPUs went up to 150F, and now settling down again as I stay on this page and type these words.

Attached Files:

7. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I think it is worthwhile checking the info.plist on your AppleFan.kext in /System/Library/Extensions and check on the values on the fan speed table. Before doing this I would suggest a thermal calibration first.

8. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Do you mean that the previous user could have edited these files to make the fans blast? Also, I tried the thermal calibration, but it froze a minute in. I saw two red lights on the motherboard, but note that these lights ONLY turned on once the calibration test was initiated, and there are NO lights when the system is regularly running.

Otherwise, the lights do not turn on if, for example, I boot into the OS and use the computer. The system runs flawlessly except for the blasting fans and the freezing calibration test. Maybe I should just re-install the OS all-together, in case the AppleFan files were messed with. Probably easier, and I can have a fresh installation instead of the previous user's stuff.

EDIT: If the fan settings had been changed, wouldn't they be per user? The fans blast even with the new user account I created. Or, if they are edited, does it affect the system regardless of which user you are on?

9. weckart macrumors 68040

System kexts are loaded on bootup before userland settings come into play as a rule.

However, your ASD disk should not be freezing the system. Either your burn is faulty or something in your hardware is. Try restoring the ASD to a usb drive and boot off that just to check that the Superdrive is not at fault. If it still freezes, then you might want to check your cpus or RAM more closely.

10. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I am just guessing that probably the last user before might have edited the AppleFan.kext... or is the kernel extension still on the extensions folder?

11. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

If the last user did edit the AppleFan.kext, does that apply to the whole system or only his user? I haven't re-installed the OS, but I did make a new user, and I am having the fan issues on it as well.

12. repentix macrumors regular

I don't think that replacing the current user with a new one will solve the OS problems (if there are any). The best thing to do is to do a fresh Leopard install, that's the first thing I do when getting a new mac/PC, then you can run ASD and see if the problem is hardware related.

13. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, I usually re-install when I get a new Mac. I guess the fact that it has Photoshop CS3 on it got me a little hesitant. But whatever... if I really wanted it, I could technically pirate it, but I wouldn't go to those extents myself. Ima re-install the OS, install FanControl and QuickFans, and update this thread tomorrow on what happens. Hopefully the calibration process won't freeze after this re-install... maybe I have a bad image file of ASD 2.6.3? Could be...

14. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Thats what I figured... Good Luck!

15. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

i dont recall what the memory situation was on that Mac. have you tried running the thermal cal or asd with just 2 sticks installed? maybe move them to different slots just in case you're hitting a bad module or slot situation. it may also be worth pulling the cpu assemy, dusting the contacts and re-seating it.

16. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I haven't done it with just 2 sticks, but it may be worth a try. While booted into the system, it showed that all four 1GB sticks were there, and I didn't have any problems with crashing and such. However, if there is something wrong with the RAM, I will just try putting in 2GB and see what happens. On top of that, I am planning to re-install MacOSX, download QuickFan and some other fan control application for PPC, and check out my fans while I am booted into the system. After that, I will try a thermal calibration with 2GB instead of 4GB of RAM, and hopefully use a different ASD .dmg this time. Maybe my current one is messed up.

17. jbarley, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Here is an img file that has worked well for me and many others.

EDIT: LINK REMOVED.

18. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD

Thank you for the file. :) I'll see if this works.

EDIT: Hmm, it freezes with this one too. It's weird though; if I initiate a test, it freezes, but if I only choose a few things for it to test, it doesn't freeze and it passes the test. (for example, I tested the CPUs and they passed). Maybe it has to do with stress on the system or something... IDK.

I made a video to show the issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n75lEw1N5WE&feature=youtu.be

19. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Alright, well I found that the two red lights that appear on the motherboard happen when the calibration process freezes. Otherwise, they are NEVER on, even if using the computer. So it seems as though the computer runs fine, but the fans are out of whack and it won't let me calibrate them...

20. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n75lEw1N5WE&feature=youtu.be

I made a video that shows the issues. Seem as though red lights occur only once the ASD disc is booted from, the second red light coming on once the calibration process freezes.

21. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

If I cannot get this fixed, I may end up parting this machine out. Another local seller has one for $140, and I addressed the problem with mine and he says he is aware of these issues; he said his works fine. I need to ponder whether or not I will try reseating the processors. If I sell this, I want to keep the GPU, RAM, and hard drive. Anything else can go. I am wondering whether or not the CPUs could be sold as 'working'. I think the Mac's faults are somewhere else. (unless it IS the CPUs and they are overheating, causing the fans to blast).

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Depending how comfortable you are with the LCS, you may want to check the coolant level.

23. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD

I have ZERO experience with the LCS. I want to find out if the CPUs are actually not the issue.

24. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

What diagnostic lights become lit? I will just assume for now that the overheat and checkstop lights are lit (#2 and #7).

Judging by the lights and your temps listed this sounds like a cooling issue with the LCS. I know you may not be down to rip it apart and flush the cooling system but it is definitely worth a shot. While you are in there replace the thermal paste with some AS5.

Here is the G5 service manual. http://www.scribd.com/doc/21536787/Apple-Power-Mac-G5-Quad-2-5-Dual-2-0-2-3-Ghz-Service-Repair-Manual

25. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

But isn't it odd that these lights only come on once a calibration test is initiated and then freezes? I suppose it may be overheating, considering it runs at its normal temperature a PMG5 SHOULD run at... although with the fans blasting. Hopefully I can find a good tutorial on flushing it. I have some thermal paste too. What do I use for coolant?