Help: Itunes can't play/find 23,000 songs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jecapaga, Oct 21, 2007.

1. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Ok..there has to be an easy way to fix this. I have an external HD at home and at work. I have roughly the same tunes on each and usually all i have to do is change the music folder itunes is looking for to play off each drive, depending where I am.

Slowly I've noticed some songs with the "!" next to it with the prompt "would you like to locate the file" as if the file/path info is slowly becoming corrupt. I decided to click the 'update' button you get whenever you switch the folder to see if that would go through and re-link the correct paths for the music on my home external. After doing this, all 23 thousand-plus songs are now getting the "!" error and none will play unless I manually click through to show itunes where the file is EVEN though I have the correct folder selected as my music folder.

How can I fix this? Do I have to delete my entire itunes list and start over? I don't want to lose my playlists either. I tried just deleting the song tracks but it said it would also erase iphone, ipod, and playlist songs.

Help!! Thanks..

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

The best way I can think of would be this.

You have WorkLibrary, so you get to work, you hook up the external drive, and before you open up iTunes, you navigate to the music folder on the external and double click the iTunes library icon.

Do the same thing at home, just make sure you quit iTunes completely before you switch libraries.

That /should/ work.

3. jecapaga thread starter macrumors 601

jecapaga

Well that doesn't work as I'm here at work and itunes is only seeing 4739 songs out of the entire library. I think I want to start over and just re-import my library from work and my library from home. What's the best way to do this AND keep them separate?