Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

judino28

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I have an issue with iTunes messing up my iPhone music playlists.

I have iTunes and my iPhone 6s with iOS 10.3.3 set to manually manage music.

I've noticed that if I ever make any changes to playlists on the iPhone, once the phone is connected to my Mac, running the latest version of iTunes, those changes are gone. I thought I had learned to live with the issue by simply never making playlist changes on the iPhone and only when connected to my Mac.

However, last time I did this, several of my playlists were randomly changed, songs deleted from the playlists (not the phone), etc. This had never happened before. Luckily, I was able to figure out what songs were changed because, for some unknown reason, the tracks that were changed all had updated "Date Modified" dates. It took some time, but I got it all sorted out to the way it was.

I also notice that, sometimes, when I try to add music, the song is grayed out and never gets completely copied. I have to disconnect the phone and restart iTunes (sometimes a few times) before it will "stick."

Now I'm scared to connect my phone again even though I'd like to add some new songs (CD rips, etc., stuff not downloaded from iTunes) as it's incredibly annoying to have to fix my playlists every time, especially when random changes are made automatically that are hard to track.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening and/or can offer any help?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I stick to use iTunes sync feature to manage music so I am not sure why your case happens that way. But, I never encounter your issue using sync.

Maybe, you could give sync a try. This is less prone to errors. Or, you can update your iTunes if it is not the latest version.

judino28

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I stick to use iTunes sync feature to manage music so I am not sure why your case happens that way. But, I never encounter your issue using sync.

Maybe, you could give sync a try. This is less prone to errors. Or, you can update your iTunes if it is not the latest version.

Thanks for the reply! I'm already running the latest version iTunes.

Anyone else have any insights?

judino28

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Sorry to bump this, but does anyone else have any advice and/or has run into a similar issue?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Maybe you can ask mod to move this thread to iOS forum, given that you know which iOS version you are using. There seems to be more people in that forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.