Help! iTunes spinning rainbow ball! No wait... What?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sravana, Jun 3, 2009.

1. sravana macrumors regular

Oh my goodness.

I've recently started using iTunes a lot, and have downloaded loads of podcasts in the past couple of days.

I powered off my iMac this afternoon because of threatening thunderstorms, and it powered back up tonight with no problem.

Everything seems to be working just fine, but I get the spinning rainbow ball when I open iTunes. It doesn't respond to Command-Q, and the menu is unresponsive.

Firefox, Safari, Thunderbird, NeoOffice and iChat all opened normally, so I think the problem is limited to iTunes.

There is no kind of error message of any kind.

I've never done any kind of re-install on a Mac, and I don't have a backup of iTunes (waiting on my iPod).

What do I need to do? I can't close it, unless I shut down the computer.

:(

Holy cow. Now it's working. It took 10 minutes for iTunes to ask me for the password for one of the podcasts (Japanesepod101).

Any ideas why that was the case?? I have a *lot* of podcasts from there in the queue to download... could that be why it hung up?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Is your iTunes setup on a local machine or are you accessing it on an external stored HD?

You might want to check the sites you have subscribed to for the podcasts.

3. sravana thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it's on a local machine.
    It worked fine after it asked me for the password.

I just opened it up this morning, and got the spinning rainbow ball of death again... waiting...

Well, once again, it took quite a while. I have over 1000 podcasts to download from japanesepod101.. so that could be why there's an issue for iTunes. Eventually the username/password thing comes up, I sign in, and it's just fine.

My Touch just arrived (!!!), but I'm going out of town for 24 hours, and don't have time to charge it up properly. Must. Be. Patient!