Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MST

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
For some reason I decided that tonight was the night to have a bit of a fiiddle around with my iMac which has culminated in me deleting my administrator account [don't even ask], all I want to do is re-install Leopard and start over but it won't even let me do that seeing as I've only got a standard user account :(

HELP...PLEASE!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
How'd you delete the account? IIRC, OS X will not let you delete an account unless you are an admin - and will never let you delete the only admin account?

Also, how are you trying to install? You should be able to do an erase and install no matter what.

MST

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
To be honest I'm really not sure! I've got the OS X install disc in the drive but when I go to install OS X by restarting the system it asks me for the administrator's name and password, yet System Preferences shows only 1 account which is standard.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Insert the install disc.

Shut down the system.

Turn on the system, holding c until it starts to load.

From there you should be able to erase and install.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
I'm taking a guess, but I imagine they changed their home folder name to something else which can make it appear as though that account has been deleted as it essentially creates a new user with a new home folder with none of the same personal data.

Just throwing that out there (if you can even do that in Leopard anymore).

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You could always have booted off of the disc, enabled the Root account, restarted, logged in as root, then recreated your Administrator account, or bumped the other account to Admin.

TEG

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
... and the first thing I disable after a clean install of Linux. Enabling the root account opens you up to a whole world of hurt. The extra layer of authentication is a very good idea.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
... and the first thing I disable after a clean install of Linux. Enabling the root account opens you up to a whole world of hurt. The extra layer of authentication is a very good idea.

But you get to control the root account in OSX, including supplying your own password. There have been several times in which having the Root account activated saved my bacon.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.