Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Effortless

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
West Kent, UK
Hi folks,

I hope some of you can help.

I have somehow managed to set my desktop size as bigger than my screen size, and I don't know how to reset it!

The problem seems to be that the desktop is magnified by about 10%, so it no longer fits on to the screen. I have to use a single finger on the trackpad to move around to get the edges of the desktop in view. I have tried resetting the screen size to its maximum of 1440x900, but this doesn't work.

Any ideas how I can revert it back to normal? I'm sure it's something very simple, but if you don't know, you don't know!! And I can't find anything in the documentation.

Many thanks,
Effortless.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Is it possible you're just zoomed in? My wife thought she had somehow set the desktop size bigger than the screen then when I saw it I just noticed she had zoomed in. Zoomed out and it was all fixed.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
Sounds like you've zoomed in to me. To zoom out, press control, and scroll down. You can use a mouse scroll or two-finger scroll (if that's on)

Effortless

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
West Kent, UK
Sorted!!

Thanks for the quick replies.... all sorted!!

I didn't know OS X had this feature... great fun to play with!!

Thanks again for your help.

Effortless

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Another fun thing is simultaneously holding down ctrl+alt (option)+CMD and then pres "8". Do it again to reverse it.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
Another effect is holding down shift when you say, open dashboard, or do expose, or show desktop, or open a stack, or anything like that.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
Errm... are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the slomo trick, which I believe was only introduced in Mac OS X. the press shift to slomo. Or you could go to terminal and type say [whatever]. It'll read what you put in whatever.

Deanna Z

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Columbus, OH
I had a similar problem (Firefox browser window width way more than the MacBook Air monitor width. Other programs didn't have this problem). Solved it by clicking Firefox top menu > View > Zoom > Actual Size.

Posting it in case it helps someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.