Help: jailbreak 4.2.1 and baseband info

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Skydree, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Skydree macrumors newbie

Hello guys, i just got this new iPhone 4 like a week ago, its locked by my current carrier, so i think i don't need to worry about this preserve baseband thing, right?

Ok, so i'm really new to this jb thing. The iPhone came with iOS 4.2.1 and baseband 03.10.01. My idea was to update to 4.3.3 and jailbreak it, but after a lot of researches, i found out that i can't anymore. So my options is to stay in 4.2.1 and jailbreak it or update it to iOS 5.0.1 that is tethered jb.

So, as i can't save my blobs anymore with TinyUmbrella, i should use iFaith to save my current 4.2.1 blobs? Then jailbreak it with redsnow or greenpoison?

Oh, and you guys recommend me to unlock it offcially on my carrier, before doing anything? Or can i keep it locked, the way it is.

Thank you guys, hope you get it
    See you

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

unlocked and locked are opposites things you are talking about both. you can stay 4.2.1 and keep a unlock using a Gevey Sim as far as unlocks go.. there is no software unlock for that baseband. if you keep it locked you can only use it on your carrier IE AT&T

Oh and there are some great Stickies up at the top and some mods put up for some dumb reason.... that you might read! if you are really really board. Or like to look like you kinda know what you are talking about..

4. Skydree thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I did take a look at iclarified and on the stickies, but i wasn't confortable to do the jb yet.

Looking at iclarified, i found out that the best method to jb the 4.2.1 untethered is with greenpoison.

My last question is, do you guys recommend me to unlock it by imei from my carrier, even if i actually wont need to use another sim card on it.

Thanks!

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you live in the US, there is no option for you to unlock it by imei from AT&T. Other countries, it worth a try.

6. Skydree, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

Skydree thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, i'm not from US. I'm sure i can unlock it by imei from here in Brazil, they are still doing it here.

My question is if i don't unlock it right now, and jailbreak it on 4.2.1, i'm wondering if i could unlock it later, cuz i'm afraid to not unlock it right now, and after jailbreaking it apple lock my imei somehow or something like that, and then i wouldn't be able to unlock it.

Thanks for your help Crystal-RX! I really appreciated it!

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Jailbreaking & unlocking are 2 different things. So, you can jailbreak it now and then unlock it later.

Greenpois0n is very easy to use, just download it to your computer, open it and follow its instruction. you don't even need to download any firmware like redsn0w to run it.

8. Skydree thread starter macrumors newbie

The unlocking ima talking about is with the imei, that i've mentioned above, not with ultrasn0w.

Once jailbroken, it will still be possible to me to unlock it by imei at my carrier, do you know what i mean?
    I'm wondering if should do it before jailbreaking, cuz i'm afraid that apple somehow block my imei after i jailbreak it, and then i wouldn't be able to unlock it officially.
    Sorry for so many dumb question.

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

i know what you are talking about. Jailbreaking has nothing to do with unlocking. How does Apple knows you are jailbreaking your phone? you can always restore your phone to official firmware if Apple wants you to bring the phone in for them to check. However, if they unlock your phone via imei, they can do that without having your phone.

Your phone can't unlock with ultrasn0w because of it baseband. On iphone 4, the only baseband that can be unlocked with ultrasn0w is 01.59. Any baseband higher than that can't be unlocked with ultrasn0w.

10. Skydree thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks bro, you made things simple for me.
    I'm feelling good now, to give it a try.

Thank you so much!

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Good luck!

I don't expect you will get any issue with it, but if there is any issue during your progress, come back here and we will help you to get it solves.