Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poofyo101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
just bought a brand new iphone 4
is there anyway to jailbreak it without activating it?
bought it sealed off of craigslist so dont have the ability to activate it.
thanks

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
just bought a brand new iphone 4
is there anyway to jailbreak it without activating it?
bought it sealed off of craigslist so dont have the ability to activate it.
thanks

No it needs to be activated to jailbreak it. Borrow a sim that the phone is locked to and activate it.

Also if you plan on jailbreaking it, I would use TinyUmbrella first to save your SHSH blobs. This can be done without the phone being activated.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
^^sorry not sure what exactly you mean

Which part? If I were you I'd quickly download TinyUmbrella from this link and save your SHSH blobs. 4.0.2 is about to come out and it's unjailbreakable. You can use the SHSH blobs to downgrade to 4.0.1 in the future at any time if you need to

poofyo101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
how to activate an iphone that was originally purchased for a different number.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No it needs to be activated to jailbreak it. Borrow a sim that the phone is locked to and activate it.

Also if you plan on jailbreaking it, I would use TinyUmbrella first to save your SHSH blobs. This can be done without the phone being activated.

Well, 4.0.2 is out, so if he didn't do it in the 20min of this thread..he is LOS :(

poofyo101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
it says that the original number must activate this phone when i plug it in

nabechu

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
yes ive tried it with my personal sim. it still shows the same number etc

The other sim probably has to be from another iphone 4. My friend bought her's off CL also and used my sim in it to activate it. Now its working great on Tmobile

poofyo101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
The other sim probably has to be from another iphone 4. My friend bought her's off CL also and used my sim in it to activate it. Now its working great on Tmobile

just tried to use my other iphone 4 sim card to activate it and it is still giving me registration under the previous person.

Flyinb

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2010
NOT True, just get a wifi connection and jailbreakme.com...I have done this 3 times.

atrac7

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
If you don't mind shelling out 10 bucks, you can try going to Best Buy and purchasing a pre-paid o2 "Universal Sim" card, cutting it down to microsim size (Which I heard isn't that painful of a process, I may be mistaken) and inserting that in. o2 runs off ATT towers and for some reason is considered a new activated sim to the iPhones.

link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/O2+Wire...10474&id=1218011463039#tabbed-customerreviews

I did this on a 3gs when it was locked and not activated. Inserted SIM, attached sync cable to iTunes and it was activated.

Quote from one of the Reviews of it:

I was kind of skeptical about purchasing the universal sim until I searched on google that this sim can be used on an iPhone whether its locked or unlocked. I just bought my sim yesterday and trimmed down the sim, so it can fit into the micro sim tray in the iPhone 4. I simply called the O2 company and activated the phone and got my free 50 minutes. FaceTime does work with this sim card. This is def better than any other prepaid phone plans ive seen from t-mobile and at&t, especially if you have a iPhone. The only disadvantage to this sim card and service is that there is NO data plans or service. I recommend this product to anyone!! Im loving my iPhone 4 with this univerisal sim card. Note: this uses at&t network. Way Better than at&t go phone 25 cents per minute compared to O2 14 cents per minute. Hope this review helps iPhone users!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.