HELP jailbreak verizon iphone 4.2.8 no home button!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by brinermo, May 20, 2011.

1. brinermo macrumors newbie

Hey so my home button is broken on the Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 but everything else works, I want to jailbreak it so I can set up the optional swipe gestures to replace the home button...

But how do I jailbreak 4.2.8 without a home button?! Never done this before I don't even know what good programs to use.

Got it like this from a friend, meant to be an ipod/app/camera for my girlfriend as I already have an iPhone 4 on 4.3.3 under warranty. I'm fairly alright with hardware as I already took the Verizon iphone apart and removed the battery, camera, logic board (which has water damage, apparently only affecting the home button) and motherboard. BUT I am not too good with software.

I heard it was theoretically possible to switch my own GSM iPhone 4 motherboard with the Verizon iphone, turn it on and hope the home button works for a jailbreak before SWITCHING BACK, but even then what programs and how do I jailbreak? And where is the hard drive memory in the iphone 4 I don't want it to come back to my phone if its located on the motherboard..

PLEASE tell me there is some way to avoid doing all that work and jailbreak without the home button lol... I really don't want to void my own warranty (an apple insider told me they couldn't really tell I did it if I'm really really careful).

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

go to the apple store and get your home button fixed/replaced. Problem solved.

3. KINetics macrumors member

Yeah, I second that. Sounds like to much work and potentially damaging to your phones.

4. brinermo thread starter macrumors newbie

already tried and they won't do it it's got water damage.

5. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i doubt you can jailbreak. since jailbreaking requires the phone to be in dfu mode and in order to get into dfu mode, you need to use the home button

6. brinermo thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I heard about some web based jailbreak or something that sounded like I may not, but I was probably wrong.

Does anyone know about the motherboard and logic board then? If I switch them out temporarily and just hook up my GSM motherboard to the CDMA iphone...
    -Which jailbreak should I use and how?
    -When I put the parts back in their original locations I won't be unknowingly switching the memory/hard drive too, thus effectively jailbreaking the GSM iphone in the end? (I know its not a hard drive but I just have no clue where it is located in the phone or even if it is on the motherboard at all).

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

The GSM logic board will definitely not work in anything but a GSM iPhone 4 and vice versa with the CDMA model. You're SOL with a water damaged phone. You'll have to pay for an out of warranty replacement or just never open any app again. Since you won't be able to get to the home screen.

8. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

9. brinermo thread starter macrumors newbie

At all?? or just won't fit in the same way? I don't plan on even replacing the back cover just getting the connections made to turn the phone on and jailbreak it...

Luckily it is still manageable for her just turning the phone off and on again to get to the home screen... so it is more like a "Smart Phone with Brain Damage" but still functional =)

10. brinermo thread starter macrumors newbie

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

Apple should charge $199 to replace it. at least that's what they charge for a at&t one even with the water damage. Or better yet if you get on contract through Verizon do that. Then sell the water damage as Is on eBay. You should get at least the contract price back.

12. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

It won't turn on at all. You're mixing hardware types and the iPhone would "know" that the logic board isn't right.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would also pay the $200 to get a replacement and be more carefull next time.
    Who wants to use an iphone without a working home button anyway. Not worth the hussle IMO.

14. brinermo thread starter macrumors newbie

ah thats what I was afraid of... that apple store employee I talked to must have just been sales =/

What about getting a verizon iphone for parts on ebay and switching them out permanently? assuming the logic board isn't fried on the other one too... or would it sense that also?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Broken iphone 4's go for more than $200 on ebay and you're taking a risk if that logic board is damaged also and not working out.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

There was a web based JB, but that was only for GSM phones on 4.0.1.