Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleiMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Hello everyone,

I upgraded to an iPhone 4 and would like to jailbreak my 3GS. I've never done it before and I started to try it yesterday, spending hours in the process.

I tried blackra1n at first, which doesn't work for me at all (it says it does but the phone never reboots, it just shows the restore with iTunes logo and cord). So then I tried PwngeTool. However, everything goes smoothly except when I go to restore to the custom ispw iTunes gives an error warning 1604. The version I'm trying to restore to is 4.0 8A293.

I know this is due to the fact that the custom ispw doesn't match Apple's verification. Is there any way to get around this? Also, I never got the phone into DFU mode (I can't now because its stuck with the restore logo)...but I assume this isn't something that would affect the Apple verification right? As in, even if it was in DFU mode...it would still not work with Apple. Any help on this would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Hello everyone,

I upgraded to an iPhone 4 and would like to jailbreak my 3GS. I've never done it before and I started to try it yesterday, spending hours in the process.

I tried blackra1n at first, which doesn't work for me at all (it says it does but the phone never reboots, it just shows the restore with iTunes logo and cord). So then I tried PwngeTool. However, everything goes smoothly except when I go to restore to the custom ispw iTunes gives an error warning 1604.

This is due to the fact that the ispw doesn't match Apple's verification or whatever. Is there any way to get around this? Also, I never got the phone into DFU mode (I can't now because its stuck with the restore logo)...but I assume this isn't something that would affect Apple's verification right? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

This is not currently possible. You would have needed to meet a few requirements to unlock a 3GS on 4.0

Old bootroom running older 3.x.x firmware
Upgrade using custom IPSW

In your case, since its already on 4.0 you would need to have previously jailbroken at 3.1.2 or 3.1.3
Saved SHSH blob on
Unlock and JB and stay at 3.1.3 unless you got old bootrom

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
You first need to verify your bootrom version, to see if you're even eligible to jailbreak on 4.0. Here is how you check.
Once that is done, you will need to update to a fresh version of 4.0, a clean install. Then, depending on bootrom version, you can jailbreak.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Wow, you're getting a lot of contradictory (and sometimes bad) information here. Here's the short rundown: unless you have your SHSH for 3.1.3 or earlier on file, you phone cannot currently be jailbroken. You will have to wait for a new tool to be released.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Wow, you're getting a lot of contradictory (and sometimes bad) information here. Here's the short rundown: unless you have your SHSH for 3.1.3 or earlier on file, you phone cannot currently be jailbroken. You will have to wait for a new tool to be released.

Correct, without SHSHs, there is nothing the OP can do.
You would have to check if you or the previous owner have saved the 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 SHSHs. Otherwise, you're screwed.

AppleiMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007

Oh ok, wow that would explain it then! Thanks. Wish i would have asked before I spent hours trying it haha. :D I don't have my SHSH for any earlier versions than 4.0 on file unfortunately. I hope a tool for 3GS 4.0 comes out soon though.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Oh ok, wow that would explain it then! Thanks. Wish i would have asked before I spent hours trying it haha. :D I don't have my SHSH for any earlier versions than 4.0 on file unfortunately. I hope a tool for 3GS 4.0 comes out soon though.

When the iPhone 4 jailbreak is released, more than likely the new-bootrom 3GS jailbreak will be released as well. Just wait, no ETA.

AppleiMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
When the iPhone jailbreak is released, more than likely the new-bootrom 3GS jailbreak will be released as well. Just wait, no ETA.

Yeah, things can take a while. Mine should be the old bootrom though as I bought it right when it first came out last June. I was planning on either playing around with it jailbroken or selling it. We'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.