help jailbreaking iphone 4 please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thenumbersrbad, Feb 17, 2011.

1. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

hey, i have an iphone 4 on at&t and have never even thought about jailbreaking before, but today got a wild hair and have thought hard about trying.

i'm totally new to this and have no idea what i am doing so any help on what to do would be helpful and also...what happens when i jailbreak? is the app store still there and i'm able to download apps from there? can i still sync with itunes? how does the tether app work, what's the cost of it? basically, i'm just worried i'm going to mess up and lose my phone. any help is appreciated! thanks!

2. puritytears macrumors newbie

Whats your iphone version and do you need a unlock ?
    The app store would remain there as normal and it remains the same .
    If you want to sync your cracked apps (from installous etc made free) you just have to download appsync from cydia ( available after jailbreaking ) and you can sync as normal .

3. StructAural macrumors regular

Also check the forum 'iPhone Hacks' here at MacRumors for JB information.

4. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

then dont mess with it.

checkout www.iclarified.com which is a great resource for jailbreak newbs. and if you still want to continue with the process, you have to accept the fact that you could brick it and there's no recourse other than buying a new phone if you do.

as for features, your device should continue to function exactly the same if done properly, except you'll now have access to new features through the cydia portal.

5. thenumbersrbad thread starter macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

hey...yeah i've seen jailbreak and unlock...whats the difference?

i'm looking at jailbreaking for the tethering ability, as i am looking at getting an ipad. would this be useful?

my iphone is version 4.2.1 and firmware 03.10.01

thanks for all of your replies. any further help would be appreciated!

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Before you jb, because you certainly can't unlock.

-Read the stickies in the iphone hacks forum; even though the information is older, a lot of it is still relevant.
    -You will read the hacks forum for a minimum of a week for an hour every night. Whenever you come across a term you don't understand, you will search the forums and google.
    -Go to jailbreakmatrix.com and iclarified.

7. thenumbersrbad thread starter macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

okay, so i jailbroke the phone...do you guys do the keep my life simple, and let cydia keep ecid number?

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Yes.
    Did I not say to do your research?

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

please do yourself a favor and us and do some reading. Stickies at the top will help. scanning through a few pages here will help. it's simply not our job to walk everybody through the process. I'm not trying to be rude but there is so much info here google and youtube. there is no need for us to add more. here this will help too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Yes, "Make your life easier"