Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevadoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
I'm hoping someone can help me with my jailbroken iPhone 3G problem.

I bought a jailbroken iPhone 3G 8gb off someone on Craigslist almost 2 months ago. I got what I thought was agreat deal. I got it home and it seemed to work fine. I was able to make calls, get on the internet and all the apps worked.

Then I tried to download one of my favorite apps from the App Store app and i got a message that said that I needed to upgrade to the latest iPhone OS version but when I tried plugging my iPhone into my Macbook Pro, I was unable to get it to recognize it. iTunes wouldn't recognize it and it the iPhone icon did not pop up on mycomputer anywhere. I tried this on my old Powerbook and my wife's iBook and still, nothing.

Per other people's advice, I tried recovering the phone and putting it back into it's natural state but I have been unable to do that even. I took it into my local Apple store and the clerk there tried doing something but then came back and said there was nothing he could do, that the phone was pretty much bricked for good. A minute later he suggested that I could have them fix it but it would cost me a good amount of money. So much for the phone being completely bricked, right?

I didn't have the extra money to have it fixed so i turned off the phone and put it in a drawer where I wouldn't have to look at it. It's been there ever since.

So, late night, I took it out, powered it up and tried the Erase All Data deal in Settings on the iPhone. I figured maybe I could get rid of all the Craigslist sellers' contact info, text messages and what-not and try to sell it cheap to someone who might be able to fix it. Once I hit the 'Are You Sure You Want To Erase Al Data?' message, I hit the 'Yes' button and got a message that said it would take about an hour for the process to go through.

The phone went black and seemed to keep powering itself on and off during this time. The Apple logo (with black background) would appear, with the little swirly round indicator thingy turning around but then it would come to a dead stop and just sit there for 5 and 10 minutes, seemingly doing nothing. I decided to ignore it and let it do it's business for nearly 3 hours and nothing changed. I went to bed and this morning, I looked at the iPhone and the same thing: black background, Apple logo, round thingy in the middle, off, and more of the same.

still, nothing happening.

I tried re-booting and nothing has changed.

Before I could at least access and use the phone but now I can't do anything.

I really hate to think that I got burned on this iPhone. I'm sure I did but if there is anyone out there who can suggest some helpful way of restoring my iPhone 3G, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
try putting it in DFU to restore.
Research before messing with it...Erase all content and settings for instance...
it erased all data, not just personal info from the previous seller.
Slightly more research would have pointed you to the fact that 'Erase all content and settings' ruins a Jail broken iPhone.
I do hope you can get it up and running again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.