help! Java 1.5 on Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ppnkg, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

I need to enable java 1.5 on Lion. Can anybody please help? thanks a million

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

You can download Java from connect.apple.com .I don't know what version it is. If the run time environment is needed it will tell you and offer to download it.

3. ApeWare macrumors newbie

I am in the same boat. I need Java 1.5 and I have tried to install it but Lion will only recognize 1.6. Any ideas guys?? I REALLY need this or no Lion update for me - testing on wife's computer.

4. ppnkg thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

I suspect something has to change in the info.plist file, similarly to the procedure followed to enable 1.5 in SL, but I'm not sure why. Any ideas anyone?

5. ppnkg thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Here's somebody from France looking for the same information. This is very sadistic of Apple...there are people out there depending on java 1.5, why apple decided to withdraw all support for previous versions of java I really don't get it.

6. absolom macrumors newbie

Hi, I am the French guy you talk about.
    i still didn't find any solution, it seems that something has change in Lion 10.7, the path is now : /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents

I tried the Pacifist solution that worked with Snow Leopard without success, neither that installation java1.5 tar.gz and create symlinks...

It's too bad, I need it to make zend Studio 5.5 working :-(

7. ppnkg thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Hi!

I know, the pacifist method which worked like a charm on SL does not work here. Still looking...

8. ssevennm macrumors newbie

I need it for ZDE 5.5 also. When I put 1.5.0_24 out there and create symbolic links, I can run the java command:

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Commands/java -version
    Code:
    java version "1.5.0_24"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_24-b02-357-11A511)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_24-149, mixed mode, sharing)
    in Terminal. I just can't get it to show in Java Preferences. Anyone had any luck yet?

9. croatsensation1 macrumors newbie

Well I am in the same boat so I am testing Lion on my iMac and the old version using Pacifist did not work. Hope someone can figure this out as I need it to get into Citrix at work, lucky my macbook air is still on SL but I want Lion on that as well.

10. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

What application are you trying to run that doesn't work in 1.6? It's insane to think that any decent program hasn't transitioned there yet since it's been years and 1.7 proposal docs have been going around for some time

11. croatsensation1 macrumors newbie

Well you would think that but my agency is using Citrix Meta-frame:( that requires java 1.4, yes I did say that, to work. So I have to stay with SL on my macbook air until I can figure out how to get 1.4 on my Java preferences on Lion. Arghh!!!!!:mad::mad:

12. ppnkg thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Insane or not, it's a problem. In my case it's spss 16.

I don't get Apple's thing with java. What's the big deal with supporting java on macos?

13. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs wants developers to use ObjC, he regards Java as a parasitic language, this is most apparent in the App store's rejection of any app that requires java

14. ssevennm, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  15. absolom macrumors newbie

GREAT !!!!

Thanks you, I was almost close to the solution while trying to understand the 1.6 shipped with Lion.

Thanks for this link !!!

16. ppnkg thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

17. MacAllster macrumors newbie

Lion & Java5

I got it working by downloading java5 from http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/isdal/snow_leopard_workaround/java.1.5.0-leopard.tar.gz.

I copied this to a user directory (i.e. a subdirectory of ~) and unpacked it (tar -xvzf java.1.5.0-leopard.tar.gz) and then accessed by it's full name at the command line:

/Users/allister/Java5/1.5.0/Home/bin/java -jar oc4j.jar

It works fine.

I originally got a similar version of this solution when I wanted to run java5 on Snow Leopard. I can't find the post any more. The original solution copied java to the "correct" location of

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0-leopard

and then tidied up the links so that 1.5 and 1.5.0 correctly pointed to 1.5.0-leopard (Apple made 1.5 point to the current version which is naughty). Then you can use Java Preferences to select which version you want to be the default. For some reason this wouldn't work for me on Lion so I used the less elegant, but simpler solution above.

Hope this helps.

Allister

18. croatsensation1 macrumors newbie

Wow! Great work guys, but this seems somewhat complicated and time consuming but worth the effort. I am looking to install 1.4.2. Would i use the same method but do it for 1.4.2 are do some values have to change?

19. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I use several Java apps, including the Amazon AWS command line tools.

I'm not a Java developer, but always thought Java was backwards compatible. Can someone explain why 1.6 is bad or why I would need 1.5? Are Java apps dependent on earlier JVM's?

I depend on these apps and have been holding off upgrading...I just thought Java was Java.

20. Graig macrumors 6502

Graig

Goto Java preferences and check Enable java applet....... fixed mine I think and I did reinstall the down load from Apple first. I wonder what a good example would be to really test it. Java website said it was working fine

21. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Not sure that I'm getting this right, but I have Java 1.6 in Lion and the only thing that I have done is launching a java game(Spiral Knights) and Lion ask me that there was an update for java to support run time. That wasn't there for download through Lion's Software Update.

Attached Files:

22. tamasnet macrumors newbie

Why 1.5?

I suspect the most common reason is for Java developers who need to work with older but still widely-deployed Java EE environments which require older JVM versions. (I know that's why I need it...)

For regular everyday use the most recent JVM version is generally fine.

23. ssevennm macrumors newbie

24. astroboi macrumors member

FYI, should you need to install Java 1.4 on Lion, the process is similar. You will need to use Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4 instead of Update 10 though.

25. croatsensation1 macrumors newbie

Hi Astrobi,

What process are you talking about to install java 1.4?? Not sure which one you are referring to . Thanks.