Help! Just dragged ALL music to desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bc008, Apr 18, 2009.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

Okay, I was dragging my music to my SD card to use on my DSi, but my finger slipped off the trackpad and started to transfer to my desktop, i quickly hit the x. I thought it closed but it didnt, and it kept copying for another 20 seconds until I saw it again. I got out of it but now my desktop is covered in music files.

If I delete them will it delete them in my iTunes as well? what do i do??

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

5. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

anyone? are they just "shortcuts" to the songs, or are they the actual file? Will i be safe just deleting them??

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you dragged them from iTunes, then they are copies of the songs. You should be able to delete them just fine.

7. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

In your iTunes preferences, in the advanced tab, if you have copy files to iTunes Music Folder checked the files that you put on your desktop should be copies (Hence why it said copying instead of moving in the dialogue box).

You can always try moving one of the songs to the trash and trying to play the song from iTunes and if it still works you should be good.

If you really wanna be sure you could also go to that song, right click on it and choose show in finder, if the path is not on the desktop then the ones on your desktop are definitely copies.

8. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

i tried deleting one and it still played. thanks lol i always do stupid things ;)

Now I have to convert all my songs to play on the DS :/ I cant believe iTunes plus songs are 99 cents now and they still want me to pay the extra money to upgrade my library..